How to expand this ratio of polynomials?

In summary: It is a different sum but also a geometric series, a polynomial of x. It helps you to decide when (x^n+1)/(x+1) is a polynomial, without the long division. The sum of the series is $$1-x+x^2-x^3+...+.(-x)^{n-1}=\frac{(-x)^{n}-1}{-x-1}$$, For what n-s is it equal to $$\frac...{-1}$$?
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
I've got the question in the attachments. I've got doubt regarding the expansion of 1+x^n
Relevant Equations
i don't know the expansions
I could simplify the expressions in the numerator and denominator to (1+x^n)/(1+x) as they are in geometric series and I used the geometric sum formula to reduce it. Now for what value of n will it be a polynomial?
I do get the idea for some value of n the simplified numerator will contain the (1+x) factor in it. What sort of expansion or formula should be used here?
Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to be able to state ##(x^n + 1) = (x+1)P(x)##, with ##P(x)## as a polynomial. Try and fill in the gaps, i.e. work out the form of ##P(x)##, and see if that gives you any clues.

Likes Gourab_chill
I'd suggest that you first perform a long division for two or three terms, and figure out an expression for the quotient and rest as a function of ##i=## the number of operations performed.

Gourab_chill said:
Homework Statement:: I've got the question in the attachments. I've got doubt regarding the expansion of 1+x^n
Relevant Equations:: i don't know the expansions

I could simplify the expressions in the numerator and denominator to (1+x^n)/(1+x) as they are in geometric series and I used the geometric sum formula to reduce it. Now for what value of n will it be a polynomial?
I do get the idea for some value of n the simplified numerator will contain the (1+x) factor in it. What sort of expansion or formula should be used here?

Probably rather than things like (1 + x) you should be looking at (1 - x) but you have and advantage over me - you know what the question is.

epenguin said:
Probably rather than things like (1 + x) you should be looking at (1 - x) but you have and advantage over me - you know what the question is.
I have edited post #1 so that the question is now an inline image.

Mark44 said:
I have edited post #1 so that the question is now an inline image.
I see the same as what I saw before but I can't see a question.

(I think I see the answer though, we get used to this sort of thing. :oldbiggrin: )

epenguin said:
I see the same as what I saw before but I can't see a question.
From the image
If p(x) = <rational function in image> then n can be
It's missing a question mark.

OK I simplified the polynomial ratio only to then notice the student had already done the same. Otherwise have no idea what the question is looking for - could it be one of these Indian examiner trap questions ?

Last edited:
epenguin said:
OK I simplified the polynomial ratio only to then notice the student had already

l, done the same. Otherwise have no idea what the question is looking for - could it be one of these Indian examiner trap questions ?

We can only write it in the form ##(x^n + 1) = (x+1)P(x)## if ##n## takes a certain set of values. The easiest way to do this IMO is to think what all of the terms in ##P(x)## have to be, but @archaic's suggestion is also equivalent.

epenguin said:
l, done the same. Otherwise have no idea what the question is looking for - could it be one of these Indian examiner trap questions ?
Try dividing ##x^n+1## by ##x+1##, you'll see that for some ##n##s the rest is ##0##.

Gourab_chill said:
Homework Statement:: I've got the question in the attachments. I've got doubt regarding the expansion of 1+x^nI could simplify the expressions in the numerator and denominator to (1+x^n)/(1+x) as they are in geometric series and I used the geometric sum formula to reduce it. Now for what value of n will it be a polynomial?
Consider the geometric series ##1-x+x^2-x^3+...+(-x)^{n-1}##. What is the sum if n is odd/even?

In case @ehild's hint looks too hard to have thought of for yourself, think what P(x) being divisible by 1+x says about P(-1).

haruspex said:
In case @ehild's hint looks too hard to have thought of for yourself, think what P(x) being divisible by 1+x says about P(-1).
Yes, I never thought about this! this actually makes it way easier!

I tried dividing the 1+x^n by 1+x also as others said in this section and I did find n can take only odd values.

@ehild I'm not sure about the sum you said, it is different from my question; it would work for 1+x+x^2+...+x^(n-1)?

Gourab_chill said:
Yes, I never thought about this! this actually makes it way easier!

I tried dividing the 1+x^n by 1+x also as others said in this section and I did find n can take only odd values.

@ehild I'm not sure about the sum you said, it is different from my question; it would work for 1+x+x^2+...+x^(n-1)?
It is a different sum but also a geometric series, a polynomial of x. It helps you to decide when (x^n+1)/(x+1) is a polynomial, without the long division. The sum of the series is $$1-x+x^2-x^3+...+.(-x)^{n-1}=\frac{(-x)^{n}-1}{-x-1}$$, For what n-s is it equal to $$\frac {x^n+1}{x+1}$$?

Last edited:
Likes Gourab_chill
ehild said:
It is a different sum but also a geometric series, a polynomial of x. It helps you to decide when (x^n+1)/(x+1) is a polynomial, without the long division. The sum of the series is $$1-x+x^2-x^3+...+.(-x)^{n-1}=\frac{(-x)^{n}-1}{-x-1}$$, For what n-s is it equal to $$\frac {x^n+1}{x+1}$$?
I had made a silly error in calculating the sum of the series before which you mentioned; you are right indeed! I didn't visualize the expression could be like this!

To perhaps simplify things, ## x^n+1 ## will have ## x+1 ## as a factor, if and only if ## x^n+1=0 ## has ## x=-1 ## as a root. Plug in ## x=-1 ## to ## x^n+1 =0 ## and see what you get.

Charles Link said:
To perhaps simplify things, ## x^n+1 ## will have ## x+1 ## as a factor, if and only if ## x^n+1=0 ## has ## x=-1 ## as a root. Plug in ## x=-1 ## to ## x^n+1 =0 ## and see what you get.
yes I did that as @haruspex has mentioned already :)

Likes Charles Link

1. How do I expand a ratio of polynomials?

To expand a ratio of polynomials, you can use the FOIL method. This stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last and is a systematic way to multiply two binomials together. You can also use the distributive property to expand a ratio of polynomials.

2. Can I use the distributive property to expand a ratio of polynomials?

Yes, the distributive property can be used to expand a ratio of polynomials. This involves multiplying each term in the numerator by each term in the denominator and then simplifying the resulting expression.

3. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for expanding a ratio of polynomials?

There are no specific shortcuts or tricks for expanding a ratio of polynomials, but practicing the FOIL method and the distributive property can help make the process quicker and more efficient.

4. What should I do if the polynomial ratio contains more than two terms?

If the polynomial ratio contains more than two terms, you can use the same methods of expanding as with two terms. Simply multiply each term in the numerator by each term in the denominator and then simplify the resulting expression.

5. Can I use the FOIL method for any type of polynomial ratio?

Yes, the FOIL method can be used for any type of polynomial ratio, as long as the terms are in the form of (a + b). If the terms are in a different form, such as (a - b), you can use the FOIL method with slight modifications.