How to express the agreement between experiment and theoretical observations?

In summary, the difference between the experimental and theoretical values is measured by the z-score and is used to determine whether or not the theory is valid for the given experimental result.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Let us suppose I have a value measured from experiment and given by
$$V_{\text{exp}} \pm \sigma_{V_{\text{exp}}}$$ and a theoretical value given as
$$V_{\text{the}} \pm \sigma_{V_{\text{the}}}$$

Is there a statistical way to measure how well ##V_{\text{the}}## matches with the ##V_{\text{exp}}##.

In other words, what is the right way to tell that ##V_{\text{the}}## is a valid theory (or not) for the given experimental result?

It seems to be that we should take the difference,

$$ (V_{\text{exp}} \pm \sigma_{V_{\text{exp}}})- (V_{\text{the}} \pm \sigma_{V_{\text{the}}})$$

and that is $$(V_{\text{exp}} - V_{\text{the}}) \pm \sqrt{\sigma_{V_{\text{exp}}}^2 + \sigma_{V_{\text{the}}}^2} \equiv \Delta V \pm \sigma_{\Delta V}$$

If $$\Delta V - \sigma_{\Delta V} < 0 < \Delta V + \sigma_{\Delta V}$$ we say that the theory is valid I guess. But is a there a measure of how valid...like at which ##\sigma## ?

I guess it is $$\frac{\sigma_{\Delta V}}{\Delta V}$$, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given a sample, it is common to determine "confidence intervals" at particular levels (90%, 95%, 97.5%, 99%, etc.) for the distribution mean from the sample mean and variance. If your theoretical mean value is in a particular confidence interval (say 95%), then it should not be rejected on the basis of that sample. You can say that the true mean is in that interval with 95% confidence.

What does it mean for your theoretical prediction to have noise?

You might consider the Chi-squared goodness of fit test that compares a theoretical distribution to a sample set to give you the probability that the sample might have come from that theoretical distribution. But the requirements for that test are more than the sample mean and variance.

Likes Twigg
I'd like to know how these numbers were arrived at. But for now let's assume that we aren't concerned about sample sizes, bias, and so forth. You are doing fine until you give a test. Instead...

Chose the level of confidence you desire. This means how sure you want to be that the difference isn't due to chance. Divide delta V by sigma delta V. (I forget the name of this standardized value. p-score?) Look it up in a table and see whether or not it is past your chosen confidence level. If the score exceeds your chosen confidence level then you can declare your belief that the experiment and theory do not match. If not, you can say the experiment has not been shown to be inconsistent with the theory. (You've "failed to reject the null hypothesis.")

There is a subtlety about it being a one-sided or two-sided test that I'm going to disregard.

Last edited:
Hornbein said:
I'd like to know how these numbers were arrived at. But for now let's assume that we aren't concerned about sample sizes, bias, and so forth. You are doing fine until you give a test. Instead...

Chose the level of confidence you desire. This means how sure you want to be that the difference isn't due to chance. Divide delta V by sigma delta V. (I forget the name of this standardized value. p-score?) Look it up in a table and see whether or not it is past your chosen confidence level. If the score exceeds your chosen confidence level then you can declare your belief that the experiment and theory do not match. If not, you can say the experiment has not been shown to be inconsistent with the theory. (You've "failed to reject the null hypothesis.")

There is a subtlety about it being a one-sided or two-sided test that I'm going to disregard.
It's the z-score.

Hornbein said:
It's the z-score.
I have learned at undergrad but know I have completely forget about it..

1. How do you determine if there is agreement between experiment and theoretical observations?

The best way to determine if there is agreement between experiment and theoretical observations is to compare the results of the experiment with the predictions made by the theoretical model. If the results are similar and within a reasonable margin of error, then there is likely agreement between the two.

2. What factors can affect the agreement between experiment and theoretical observations?

There are many factors that can affect the agreement between experiment and theoretical observations, including experimental error, limitations of the theoretical model, and external factors such as environmental conditions. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors when evaluating the agreement between experiment and theory.

3. How can you improve the agreement between experiment and theoretical observations?

To improve the agreement between experiment and theoretical observations, it is important to conduct careful and precise experiments, use accurate and well-supported theoretical models, and account for any potential sources of error or uncertainty. Additionally, continually refining and updating the theoretical model based on new experimental data can also help improve agreement.

4. What can be done if there is disagreement between experiment and theoretical observations?

If there is disagreement between experiment and theoretical observations, it is important to carefully examine the data and consider potential sources of error or limitations of the theoretical model. If necessary, adjustments can be made to the experimental methods or the theoretical model to try and improve agreement. It may also be necessary to conduct further experiments or research to better understand the underlying factors causing the disagreement.

5. How does the level of agreement between experiment and theoretical observations affect the validity of the theoretical model?

The level of agreement between experiment and theoretical observations is an important factor in determining the validity of the theoretical model. If there is high agreement, it can provide strong support for the validity of the model. However, if there is significant disagreement, it may indicate that the model needs to be revised or updated to better reflect the experimental data. It is important to continually evaluate and refine theoretical models in light of new experimental evidence.