How to extract data from existing JPEG/TiFF graph?

In summary, the best way to extract data from a JPEG/TiFF graph is to use specialized software or programming tools designed for this purpose. While manual extraction is possible, it may result in less accurate data. It is possible to extract specific data points from a graph, but the accuracy depends on the quality of the graph and the extraction method used. There may also be limitations in extracting data from more complex or low-quality graphs.
kelvin490
Gold Member
Is there any method to extract data from a graph in JPEG/TIFF format, using simple software such as MATLAB? I have a graph as shown below:

Untitled.jpg

I only have this picture but no raw data and I want to plot the black curve in this graph. How to get approximate numerical data of the x and y axis? Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 652
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to do it simply in Matlab. For such tasks, I use DataThief.

Likes kelvin490
You can use getframe()

Code:
plot(1:10);
structFrame = getframe(); % Get structure
rgbImage = structFrame.cdata;
figure;
imshow(rgbImage);

1. What is the best way to extract data from a JPEG/TiFF graph?

The best way to extract data from a JPEG/TiFF graph is to use specialized software or programming tools designed for this purpose. These tools can accurately read and interpret the data from the graph, allowing you to extract it in a usable format.

2. Can I extract data from a JPEG/TiFF graph without any special software?

While it is possible to manually extract data from a JPEG/TiFF graph using image editing software, this process can be time-consuming and may result in less accurate data. It is recommended to use specialized software or tools for more precise and efficient data extraction.

3. Is it possible to extract specific data points from a JPEG/TiFF graph?

Yes, with the right tools and techniques, it is possible to extract specific data points from a JPEG/TiFF graph. This can be done by using software that allows you to select and extract individual data points or by using programming languages to extract data from specific regions of the graph.

4. How accurate is the data extracted from a JPEG/TiFF graph?

The accuracy of the data extracted from a JPEG/TiFF graph depends on the quality of the graph and the tools or techniques used for extraction. In general, using specialized software or programming tools can result in more accurate data extraction compared to manual methods.

5. Are there any limitations to extracting data from a JPEG/TiFF graph?

Yes, there may be limitations to extracting data from a JPEG/TiFF graph. Some graphs may be too complex or low quality, making it difficult for software to accurately interpret the data. Additionally, extracting data from graphs with non-linear scales or multiple data sets may require more advanced tools and techniques.