How to factor in critical chance to calculate damage per second?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Tomecide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damage Per
In summary: With:$$\text{Critical Chance} = (1 - \text{Critical Damage}) \times 100\%$$The equation becomes:$$\text{Damage Per Second} = (1 + \text{Critical Chance})\times \text{Base Damage}$$In summary, the equation states that damage is dealt per second equal to the number of attack animations multiplied by the base damage (with a percentage of critical chance), plus the critical chance multiplier.
Tomecide
Ok so essentially in this video game I have there are certain stats on swords. The stats are the amount of Attack animations, amount of time to compleate all of the attack animations, sword dammage and critical chance. All of the animations deal the same amount of dammage and the time to compleate all of the animations always stays the same (Dammage is done when you attack and attacking causes an animation to happen). Critical Chance has a fixed percentage of chance to occour and if a critical hit is landed, the attack will deal double damage. Sword dammage is fixed and I've figured out a formula to find the amount of dammage a sword can deal a second: Attack Animations * Base dammage / Time to preform all of the attack animations. I'm confident that this formula is correct, because I have tested it. Anyways my question is how can I factor in critical chance to my equation to reresent the stat properly. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tomecide said:
Ok so essentially in this video game I have there are certain stats on swords. The stats are the amount of Attack animations, amount of time to compleate all of the attack animations, sword dammage and critical chance. All of the animations deal the same amount of dammage and the time to compleate all of the animations always stays the same (Dammage is done when you attack and attacking causes an animation to happen). Critical Chance has a fixed percentage of chance to occour and if a critical hit is landed, the attack will deal double damage. Sword dammage is fixed and I've figured out a formula to find the amount of dammage a sword can deal a second: Attack Animations * Base dammage / Time to preform all of the attack animations. I'm confident that this formula is correct, because I have tested it. Anyways my question is how can I factor in critical chance to my equation to reresent the stat properly. Thanks!

Hi Tomecide! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

When an animation deals damage, the damage dealt is:
\begin{cases}\text{Base Damage} &\text{with probability }1 - \text{Critical Chance} \\
\text{Base Damage} \times 2 &\text{with probability }\text{Critical Chance}
\end{cases}
The expected amount of damage is:
\begin{aligned}\text{Expected Damage} &= (1 - \text{Critical Chance}) \times \text{Base Damage} + \text{Critical Chance}\times \text{Base Damage} \times 2 \\
&= (1 + \text{Critical Chance})\times \text{Base Damage}
\end{aligned}
So the:
$$\text{Damage Per Second} = \text{Attack Animations} \times (1 + \text{Critical Chance})\times \text{Base Damage} \ /\ \text{Time}$$

What is Damage Per Second (DPS)?

DPS refers to the amount of damage that can be dealt by a weapon, spell, or character in a video game in one second.

How is DPS calculated?

DPS is calculated by taking the damage value of a weapon or spell and dividing it by the time it takes to use or cast it.

Why is DPS important in video games?

DPS is important because it helps players understand how much damage they can deal in a given amount of time. It also helps players compare and choose the most effective weapons or spells for their playstyle.

What factors can affect DPS?

Factors that can affect DPS include weapon or spell damage, attack speed, critical hit chance, and character stats such as strength or intelligence.

How can DPS be increased?

DPS can be increased by using weapons or spells with higher damage, increasing attack speed, increasing critical hit chance, and improving character stats through leveling or gear upgrades.