Find the value of ##r## and ##s## in the given quadratic equation

It is given that ##αβ = 4##, so ##r^2 + s^2 = 4##, so the values of ##r## and ##s## are determined by the values of ##z##. Therefore, ##z = r + is = ±\sqrt{8 + 6i}##. Solving the simultaneous equation yields,##rs=3## giving us ##s##=##\dfrac {3}{r}##Substituting ##s = \dfrac{3}{r}## into ##z = r + is## and solving for ##r## yields##r = \pm \dfrac{3}{\sqrt{8 + 6i}}##However
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
quadratics
1644673243117.png
Let the roots of the given quadratic equation be ##x=α## and ##x=β## then our quadratic equation will be of the form;
$$x^2-(α+β)x+αβ$$
It follows that ##(α+β)=(r+is)## and ##αβ=4##.
We are informed that ##α^2+β^2=6i ## then $$6i=(r+is)(r+is)-8$$ ... $$8+6i=(r^2-s^2)+2rsi$$
solving the simultaneous equation yields,
##rs=3## giving us ##s##=##\dfrac {3}{r}##
##r^4-8r^2-9=0##. Let ##m##=##r^2##
##m^2-8m-9=0##
##m=9##, ##m=-1##
but we know that ##m=r^2## therefore ##r^2=9, ⇒r=±3## also ##r^2=-1## (unsuitable)
then we shall end up with ##r=3, s=1## and ##r=-3, s=-1##

Any other way of doing it...highly appreciated ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached
Relevant Equations:: quadratics

View attachment 296997Let the roots of the given quadratic equation be ##x=α## and ##x=β## then our quadratic equation will be of the form;
$$x^2-(α+β)x+αβ$$
It follows that ##(α+β)=(r+is)## and ##αβ=4##.
We are informed that ##α^2+β^2=6i ## then $$6i=(r+is)(r+is)-8$$
At this point, with ##z = r + is##, you have
$$z^2 = 8 + 6i$$$$z = \pm\sqrt{8 + 6i}$$

Likes chwala

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it contains at least one term that is squared. It is written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you find the value of r and s in a quadratic equation?

To find the values of r and s, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. The values of r and s will be the solutions to the equation, where r is the value of x when the + is used and s is the value of x when the - is used.

3. What is the significance of finding the values of r and s in a quadratic equation?

The values of r and s represent the roots or solutions of the equation, which are the values of x that make the equation true. These values are important in graphing the equation and solving real-world problems that involve quadratic relationships.

4. Can there be more than two solutions to a quadratic equation?

No, a quadratic equation can have at most two solutions or roots. This is because the graph of a quadratic equation is a parabola, which can intersect the x-axis at most two times.

5. How can I check if my values of r and s are correct?

You can check your values of r and s by substituting them back into the original equation and seeing if it makes the equation true. You can also graph the equation and see if the x-intercepts match your calculated values of r and s.