How to find angle after applying Pythagorean Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle to an object in a 3-D problem given its coordinates relative to the speaker and another person. The conversation also mentions the use of the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to solve the problem. A resource is provided for further guidance.
LeighV
Hello, so I have a question that states (these aren't the actual measurements but they are around about the same, I can't remember the exact numbers so I made these up, this way I could apply the same to the actual numbers) an object being 4km above me, 1.4km to the north of me, and 2km to the west of another person. (I know the coordinates north, west, etc. are correct, just made a guess on the numbers) I have to find the angle to the object.

So i began for the xyz to begin applying the Pythagorean theorem, so
√4^2 + 1.4^2 + 2^2
16 + 1.96 + 4

But I am not sure where to go from here. I am guessing it would be either cos or sin I use?

Thank you for the guidance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture and mark your angle then it should be obvious which trig function to use.

Since you know all three sides, you get to choose your favorite one.

Since you apparently are dealing with a 3-D problem, you'll need more than one angle to determine the location of this point. After all, in 3-D, you need 3 pieces of information to determine a specific location.

The thing is I don't even know where to begin with drawing it out...I did attempt to but it never seemed to measure out correctly. @SteamKing it is a really confusing problem because that is the only information they give me, unless I count the north or west measurement as being a 90 degree angle against the axis?

LeighV said:
Hello, so I have a question that states (these aren't the actual measurements but they are around about the same, I can't remember the exact numbers so I made these up, this way I could apply the same to the actual numbers) an object being 4km above me, 1.4km to the north of me, and 2km to the west of another person. (I know the coordinates north, west, etc. are correct, just made a guess on the numbers) I have to find the angle to the object.
It's a good question, but before you can answer it you must identify the angle you are interested in. You want the angle between that vector you described and what? Perhaps between that vector and another vector? Or between that vector and the x-y plane?

If the latter, then you are looking for the angle between the vector and its "shadow" on the x-y plane.

This article will get you started. Run through it quickly first, then back up and read more thoroughly. http://www.intmath.com/vectors/7-vectors-in-3d-space.php#anglebetweenvectors

1. How do you apply the Pythagorean theorem to find an angle?

To apply the Pythagorean theorem to find an angle, you first need to know the lengths of two sides of a right triangle. Then, use the formula c^2 = a^2 + b^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides. Once you have the values, you can use inverse trigonometric functions (such as sin^-1, cos^-1, or tan^-1) to find the angle.

2. Can you find the angle using only the Pythagorean theorem?

No, the Pythagorean theorem alone cannot be used to find an angle. It is only used to find the length of a side in a right triangle. To find an angle, you also need to know at least one side length and use trigonometric functions.

3. What is the relationship between the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem is a geometric concept that relates the sides of a right triangle, while trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. The Pythagorean theorem is often used in conjunction with trigonometry to solve problems involving right triangles.

4. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used to find angles in non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used to find angles in right triangles. Non-right triangles have different formulas and methods for finding angles, such as the Law of Cosines and the Law of Sines.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when using the Pythagorean theorem to find angles?

Yes, there are a few special cases that need to be considered when using the Pythagorean theorem to find angles. These include dealing with negative or imaginary solutions, using the correct units for angles (degrees or radians), and accounting for the order of the sides (opposite, adjacent, or hypotenuse) when using inverse trigonometric functions.