How to find find all P(x) for this functional equation

• Thread starter tdenise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the problem is to find all polynomials P(x) that satisfy the functional equation P(x^2+2x+3)=[P(x+3)]^2. To solve this, you can start by considering progressively harder cases, such as assuming P(y) is a constant, linear, or quadratic polynomial. Additionally, substituting specific values for x can reveal information about P(x). One approach is to let P(x)=(x-α)^nQ(x) and use the fact that (x-α) divides (x^2+2x+3-α) to find potential roots for Q.
tdenise

Homework Statement

Find all the polynomials [itex]P(x)[/itex] for which
[tex]P(x^2+2x+3)=[P(x+3)]^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to solve functional equations systematically. I tried to to find a linear [itex]P(x)[/itex] and found [itex]P(x)=x-2[/itex] through trial & error. I also tried substituting x = 0 and x = (x-3) but that didn't go anywhere.

[tex]x=0: P(3) = [P(3)]^2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow{P(3) = {0,1}}[/tex]

[tex]x=(x-3): P((x-2)^2+2) = [P(x)]^2[/tex]

Note that on the LHS, there is [itex](x-2)[/itex] (the P(x) I found) but I don't know if that's a coincidence or not. Also the LHS & RHS are ≥ 0 and [itex]P(x)[/itex] must be an "odd degree" polynomial (i.e. the leading term must be an odd power).

Please help me solve this question. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance this looks like a challenging problem...

I'd start by solving progressively harder problems.

First let's assume that P(y) is a constant. P(y)=c. What values of c satisfy the equation c=c^2 ?

Next let's look at the case where P(y) is linear. P(y) = a y + b. Now we want to find a and b that satisfy the equation a(x^2+2x+3) + b = (a(x+3)+b)^2.

After that go to the quadratic case. Hopefully a few patterns will begin to emerge.

Suppose n ≥ 1 is the max n for which (x-α)n is a factor of P, some root α. Let P(x) = (x-α)nQ(x). What equation can you deduce for Q? Can you deduce from this further roots as functions of α? If so, that potentially leads to an infinite sequence of roots, which would not be allowed, so the task becomes to find those α for which the sequence terminates.

the_wolfman said:
At first glance this looks like a challenging problem...

I'd start by solving progressively harder problems.

First let's assume that P(y) is a constant. P(y)=c. What values of c satisfy the equation c=c^2 ?

Next let's look at the case where P(y) is linear. P(y) = a y + b. Now we want to find a and b that satisfy the equation a(x^2+2x+3) + b = (a(x+3)+b)^2.

After that go to the quadratic case. Hopefully a few patterns will begin to emerge.

The expansion on the RHS is too long for thee quadratic case and higher to see any pattern.

haruspex said:
Suppose n ≥ 1 is the max n for which (x-α)n is a factor of P, some root α. Let P(x) = (x-α)nQ(x). What equation can you deduce for Q? Can you deduce from this further roots as functions of α? If so, that potentially leads to an infinite sequence of roots, which would not be allowed, so the task becomes to find those α for which the sequence terminates.

I don't see how you can deduce anything for Q from that. Can you please elaborate?

tdenise said:

Homework Statement

Find all the polynomials [itex]P(x)[/itex] for which
[tex]P(x^2+2x+3)=[P(x+3)]^2
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to solve functional equations systematically. I tried to to find a linear [itex]P(x)[/itex] and found [itex]P(x)=x-2[/itex] through trial & error. I also tried substituting x = 0 and x = (x-3) but that didn't go anywhere.
[tex]x=0: P(3) = [P(3)]^2
[/tex][tex]
\Rightarrow{P(3) = {0,1}}
[/tex][tex]
x=(x-3): P((x-2)^2+2) = [P(x)]^2[/tex]
Note that on the LHS, there is [itex](x-2)[/itex] (the P(x) I found) but I don't know if that's a coincidence or not. Also the LHS & RHS are ≥ 0 and [itex]P(x)[/itex] must be an "odd degree" polynomial (i.e. the leading term must be an odd power).

Please help me solve this question. Thanks.
You can determine something about the polynomial, P(x), evaluated at a few values of x.

It may be helpful to use a different variable to express [itex]\displaystyle \ P(u^2+2u+3)=(P(u+3))^2\ .[/itex]

If [itex]\displaystyle \ u^2+2u+3=u+3\,,\ [/itex] then u = 0 or -1 .

This gives that [itex]\displaystyle \ P(3)=(P(3))^2\,, \ [/itex] which you already have.

Also, it gives [itex]\displaystyle \ P(2)=(P(2))^2\ .[/itex]

What if u = -2 ?

This is far from solved, but gives something to work with.

Thanks SammyS. For u = -2: [itex]P(3) = (P(1))^2[/itex], so
[tex](P(3))^2 = (P(1))^2[/tex]

So P(x) is does not have a one to one y to x mapping (I don't remember the name for that). How does that help solve the problem though?

I also noticed that the minimum of [itex]x^2+2x+3[/itex] is 2. Is this relevant?

tdenise said:
Thanks SammyS. For u = -2: [itex]P(3) = (P(1))^2[/itex], so
[tex](P(3))^2 = (P(1))^2[/tex]

So P(x) is does not have a one to one y to x mapping (I don't remember the name for that). How does that help solve the problem though?

Well, you do know something about P(3), right? ... It's either 0 or 1 .

tdenise said:
Can you please elaborate?
I'll start by switching x to x-3 everywhere. This produces an equivalent equation but with a more convenient RHS: P(x2-4x+6) = P(x)2
Let P(x) = (x-α)nQ(x) with n≥1, so (x2-4x+6-α)nQ(x2-4x+6) = P(x2-4x+6) = P(x)2 = (x-α)2nQ(x)2.
so (x2-4x+6-α) divides (x-α)2nQ(x)2.
Under what circumstances does x-α divide (x2-4x+6-α)?
If it does not divide it, what roots can you deduce for Q?

Related to How to find find all P(x) for this functional equation

1. How do I solve a functional equation?

Solving a functional equation involves finding an expression for the unknown function that satisfies the given equation. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation, substitution, or trial and error.

2. What are the steps to finding all possible P(x) for a functional equation?

The steps to finding all possible P(x) for a functional equation include identifying any given conditions or restrictions, manipulating the equation to isolate P(x), and using algebraic techniques to find a general expression for P(x).

3. Can I use a graph to find all P(x) for a functional equation?

While a graph can help visualize the behavior of a function, it is not a reliable method for finding all possible P(x) for a functional equation. Algebraic techniques should be used instead.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving a functional equation?

Yes, there may be special cases or conditions that need to be considered when solving a functional equation. This could include restrictions on the domain or specific values that P(x) must satisfy.

5. Is there a general formula for finding all P(x) for a functional equation?

There is no one-size-fits-all formula for finding all possible P(x) for a functional equation. The specific equation and any given conditions will determine the approach to solving the equation.