How to find inductance of a coil with two concentric ferromagnetic cores?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to account for the presence of two ferromagnetic cores arranged as concentric cylinders inside a coil of wire, and how to factor in the air gap between the core and the coil. It is suggested that the outer core may dominate the inductance and act as a shield for the inner core. The conversation then shifts to discussing the implications of an air gap in a single core situation, and how it affects the leakage and magnetizing inductance. The question of how to find the inductance of a coil with a metal core and an air gap is also raised, with the suggestion of using relative permeabilities weighted by the respective areas occupied.
jam1234

Homework Statement

This isn't exactly a homework question so there aren't any data/numbers to work with. I just want to know what to do if there are two ferromagnetic cores inside a coil of wire, arranged as concentric cylinders. Or how to account for the air gap between the core and the coil?

Homework Equations

L = μN2A/l

The Attempt at a Solution

Should it be treat as a series circuit? Or maybe parallel? Or do you weight the contributions of the relative permeabilities by the fraction of the area inside the coil they occupy?

Physics news on Phys.org
jam1234 said:

Homework Statement

This isn't exactly a homework question so there aren't any data/numbers to work with. I just want to know what to do if there are two ferromagnetic cores inside a coil of wire, arranged as concentric cylinders. Or how to account for the air gap between the core and the coil?

Homework Equations

L = μN2A/l

The Attempt at a Solution

Should it be treat as a series circuit? Or maybe parallel? Or do you weight the contributions of the relative permeabilities by the fraction of the area inside the coil they occupy?

Depending on the arrangement, I would guess that the outer core would dominate the inductance -- that is, very little of the B-field would be coupled to the inner core. The outer core would act as a shield for the inner core, IMO.

Do you have an application in mind?

berkeman said:
Depending on the arrangement, I would guess that the outer core would dominate the inductance -- that is, very little of the B-field would be coupled to the inner core. The outer core would act as a shield for the inner core, IMO.

Do you have an application in mind?

Well for example to account for the ring of air around a metal core in a solenoid. In some cases this may not be negligible.

jam1234 said:
Well for example to account for the ring of air around a metal core in a solenoid. In some cases this may not be negligible.

That's a different situation than the question in your original post (OP). If you have an air gap between the windings and a single core, then that increases the leakage inductance Lk and reduces your magnetizing inductance Lm.

berkeman said:
That's a different situation than the question in your original post (OP). If you have an air gap between the windings and a single core, then that increases the leakage inductance Lk and reduces your magnetizing inductance Lm.

I did put the air gap bit in my original question as well. How would you find the inductance of a coil with a metal core and an air gap around it? I don't want to assume it is negligible because it isn't always. Do you just use the relative permeabilities weighted by the areas occupied by the core and air gap?

1. How do I calculate the inductance of a coil with two concentric ferromagnetic cores?

To calculate the inductance of a coil with two concentric ferromagnetic cores, you will need to use the formula for the inductance of a multi-core coil. This formula takes into account the inductance of each individual core as well as the mutual inductance between the two cores. You will also need to know the dimensions and material properties of the cores, as well as the number of turns in the coil.

2. What is the difference between a single-core and a multi-core coil?

A single-core coil has only one ferromagnetic core, while a multi-core coil has two or more concentric cores. The presence of multiple cores increases the overall inductance of the coil, as well as its efficiency and power handling capabilities.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating inductance with different types of ferromagnetic cores?

No, the formula for calculating the inductance of a coil with two ferromagnetic cores is specific to the type of core material being used. Different materials have different permeability values, which affect the inductance of the coil. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific type of core material being used.

4. How can I measure the inductance of a coil with two concentric ferromagnetic cores?

There are a few different methods for measuring the inductance of a coil with two concentric ferromagnetic cores. One method is to use an LCR meter, which can directly measure the inductance of the coil. Another method is to use an oscilloscope and a function generator to measure the resonant frequency of the coil, and then use a formula to calculate the inductance. You can also calculate the inductance using the dimensions and material properties of the cores.

5. How do I choose the right ferromagnetic cores for my coil?

The choice of ferromagnetic cores for a coil depends on the specific application and design requirements. Factors to consider include the desired inductance, operating frequency, power handling capabilities, and cost. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable expert or conduct thorough research to select the most suitable cores for your specific needs.