How to find max velocity in a spring-mass system?

In summary: When the system is in equilibrium the total momentum is zero. However, when the system is not in equilibrium there is a moment of inertia associated with each mass. This moment of inertia can cause the system to have a nonzero total momentum.
Helly123

Homework Statement

Two masses connected with a spring with contant k. The string streched by l . Find the max velocity of mass m!
M2 ___spring___ M1

M2--stretched by x2--____spring____--x1--M1
l = x1+ x2
2. Homework Equations

F = k.l
Mass1.x1 = mass2.x2
(x= displacement?)
a=w^2 x
v = wx

Ep + Ek1 = Ep + Ek2
Ep = 1/2kx^2
Vmax at equilibrium = ##\sqrt{\frac{A^2k}{m}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

kl = m.a
a = k.l/m
While l = x1 + x2
After i get a, i can find w, and can find v

My question is, why can't i use Vmax at equilibrium = ##\sqrt{\frac{A^2k}{m}}## ? The A = x1
m1x1 = m2x2
X1 = m2.(l-x1)/m1
X1=m2.l /(m1+m2)
Substitute x1 to A. But i get different answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is k the effective spring constant for m1's motion? Hint: Write Hooke's law in terms of x1 rather than L.

Last edited:
Likes Helly123
TSny said:
Is k the effective spring constant for m1's motion? Hint: Write Hooke's law in terms of x1 rather than L.
Ah, i get it..
The Hooke's law = k.x1
F=m.a
m1.a = kx1
K= m1.a/x1
Then substitute k to equation.
So, when we use total constant the displacement is the total L. While we use only partly displacement the k constant different one?

Yes. The force felt by each mass is F = kL where L is the total amount of stretch of the spring from equilibrium. Using some of your equations in your first post, you should be able to express L in terms of just x1. Then you can identify the effective spring constant k1 for mass m1.

If the system can move freely then isn't the total momentum always zero?

J Hann said:
If the system can move freely then isn't the total momentum always zero?
Yes.

What is a spring-mass system?

A spring-mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The mass can move on a horizontal surface and the spring is fixed to a support. The spring-mass system is commonly used to study simple harmonic motion.

What is maximum velocity in a spring-mass system?

Maximum velocity in a spring-mass system is the highest velocity that the mass reaches during its oscillation. It occurs when the spring is stretched or compressed to its maximum length and the mass is moving with the highest speed in the opposite direction.

How is maximum velocity calculated in a spring-mass system?

The maximum velocity in a spring-mass system can be calculated using the equation vmax = √(k/m) * A, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

What factors affect the maximum velocity in a spring-mass system?

The maximum velocity in a spring-mass system is affected by the spring constant, mass of the object, and the amplitude of the oscillation. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the maximum velocity.

How can the maximum velocity be increased in a spring-mass system?

The maximum velocity in a spring-mass system can be increased by increasing the spring constant or the amplitude of the oscillation. This can be achieved by using a stiffer spring or increasing the initial displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. However, it is important to note that increasing the maximum velocity may also increase the risk of the system becoming unstable.