How to find Potential Energy without distance

In summary, a 2 kg cube slides at a constant speed of 20 m/s on a frictionless surface and collides with a 5 kg block attached to a spring with a spring constant of 75 N/m. The momentum and kinetic energy of the cube before the collision can be calculated. After the collision, the combined cube-block system has a certain speed and kinetic energy. The maximum potential energy stored in the spring can also be determined. To find the distance the system will move before stopping, the equation for potential energy can be used with the known x value. Gravity does not play a role in this problem.
rocky4920

Homework Statement

[/B]
A small cube, with a mass of 2 kg, slides along a frictionless horizontal surface at a constant speed of 20 m/s until it collides with, and sticks to, a large wooden 5 kg block. The large block is attached to the left end of a spring with a spring constant of 75 N/m as shown in the diagram.

upload_2018-1-11_20-38-51.png

a. What is the momentum of the cube before the collision?
b. What is the kinetic energy of the cube before the collision?
c. Find the speed of the combined cube and block system just after the collision.
d. Find the kinetic energy of the cube-block system just after the collision.
e. What is the maximum potential energy that can be stored in the spring due to this collision?
f. How far will the cube-block system move before it stops?

Homework Equations

PE= 1/2kx2
1/2kx2=mgd
d=1/2kx2/mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a question regarding a problem that I am trying to solve. I successfully have completed a,b,c,d and am having trouble with e and f. To find potential energy, 1/2kx2, I know the k value, but there is no x given in the problem. Is there another formula to use to solve? For f, I have the equation ready to go, but again I need to know x. For f, my equation is d=1/2kx2/mg.

Much thanks and appreciation.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-11_20-38-51.png
    upload_2018-1-11_20-38-51.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,073
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget f for the moment. Concentrate on e, and think how it relates to d.

Thank you.

KE = PE
1/2kx2 =1/2mv2
1/2(75)x2 =1/2(7)(5.71)2
x2=2(114.11)/75
x=1.749m

Solve for E
PE=1/2kx2
PE=1/2(75)(1.749)2
PE=114.7 J

Solve for F
d=1/2kx2/mg
d=114.7/7(9.8)
d=1.67 m

Is this the right track, or are there still errors I am making?
Thanks again!

rocky4920 said:
Solve for F
d=1/2kx2/mg
I do not understand what you are doing here. How does gravity come into it? This is all on a smooth horizontal surface.
You already found the answer as x.

Very true. I thank you again for your help!

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object possesses that can be released or converted into other forms of energy.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Both are forms of energy and can be converted into one another.

3. How can potential energy be calculated without distance?

Potential energy can be calculated without distance by using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or elevation of the object.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the object is below its reference point, such as when an object is at a lower elevation than the ground. In this case, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object falls.

5. How is potential energy used in everyday life?

Potential energy is used in everyday life in various ways. Some examples include: the potential energy in food fuels our bodies, potential energy in batteries powers our electronics, and potential energy in water is harnessed to generate electricity in hydroelectric power plants.