How to find range and endurance

• Thread starter 1960440382
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, to calculate the maximum range and endurance of the Predator UAV, you need to take into account the weight of the fuel, the lift coefficient, and the air density in addition to the minimum thrust and drag coefficients.

Homework Statement

The Predator UAV has the following characteristics: wingspan = 14.85 m,
wing area = 11.45 m2
, maximum mass = 1020 kg, and fuel mass = 295 kg. Note the
weights are given in kg. You should covert them to weight force W in N. The power
plant is a Rotax four-cylinder, four-stroke engine of 85 horsepower driving a two-blade,
variable pitch pusher propeller. Assume the Oswald efficiency is 0.7, the zero-lift drag
coefficient is 0.03, the propeller efficiency is 0.9, and the specific fuel consumption is 0.2
kg(note this mass, not weight) of fuel per horsepower hour

Homework Equations

1.calculate the maximum range.
Hint) Please make sure you use the correct weight of the fuel (Wf=m*g= W0- W1
Also, please compute the correct value of c (SFC) in the SI unit, N/(second*Nm/s).
You have to convert 0.2kg/(hour*hp).
2. calculate the maximum endurance at sea level and

The Attempt at a Solution

1.I think when TR(thrust required) is at min, R(range) is at max, and when CD,0(zero-lift-drag)=CD,i(induced drag), TR is at min.
By doing in this way, I get 7.91*10^6meters, which is much larger than what wikipedia says about the Predator's range.
2.I think when PR(Power required) is at min, E(endurance) is at max, and when CD,0(zero-lift-drag)=1/3*CD,i(induced drag), PR is at min.
By doing in this way, I get 2.674*10^5s, which is much larger than what wikipedia says about the Predator's endurance.

Am I using a wrong method or making a mistake in calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your calculations. From your attempt, it seems like you are on the right track but there are a few things that need to be corrected.

First, for the weight of the fuel, you have correctly converted it to weight force in N, but you also need to take into account the weight of the UAV itself. So the weight of the fuel should be Wf = W0 - W1 - W2, where W0 is the maximum mass of the UAV, W1 is the fuel mass, and W2 is the weight of the UAV without fuel.

Second, for the specific fuel consumption, you need to convert it to SI units of N/(s*W). This can be done by multiplying the given value of 0.2 kg/(hour*hp) by 2.7778*10^-7 to get 5.556*10^-8 N/(s*W).

For the maximum range calculation, you are correct in using the minimum TR (thrust required) and the minimum CD (drag coefficient). However, you also need to take into account the lift coefficient (CL) and the weight of the UAV. The correct formula for maximum range is R = (2*CL^3/W)*(1/CD)*sqrt(2*W^2/(p*S)), where p is the air density and S is the wing area. This should give you a more accurate result for the maximum range.

For the maximum endurance calculation, you are correct in using the minimum PR (power required) and the minimum CD. However, the correct formula for maximum endurance is E = (CL/CD)*(1/PR)*ln(W0/W1), where W0 is the maximum mass of the UAV and W1 is the fuel mass. This should give you a more accurate result for the maximum endurance.

I hope this helps you with your calculations. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is range and endurance?

Range and endurance refer to the distance and length of time, respectively, that a vehicle or aircraft can travel without refueling or recharging.

2. How do you calculate range and endurance?

Range and endurance can be calculated by taking into account factors such as the vehicle's fuel or energy capacity, its efficiency, and external factors such as wind and weight. Mathematical equations and simulations are often used to calculate these values.

3. What factors affect range and endurance?

The main factors that affect range and endurance include the vehicle's fuel or energy capacity, its efficiency, the weight of the vehicle and its cargo, external factors such as wind and weather conditions, and the type of propulsion system used.

4. How can range and endurance be improved?

To improve range and endurance, engineers can work on increasing the vehicle's fuel or energy capacity, improving its efficiency, reducing weight, and optimizing the propulsion system. Other factors such as wind and weather can also be taken into account during route planning.

5. Why is range and endurance important in vehicle design?

Range and endurance are important in vehicle design as they directly impact the vehicle's capabilities and performance. A longer range and endurance allow for longer missions or trips without the need for frequent refueling or recharging, making the vehicle more efficient and versatile.