Torque and RPM Analysis: Understanding Power Transmission with Pulleys

In summary, adding two 3 inches pulley to a driving shaft with 10Nm torque and 1000 RPM will result in a total torque of 20Nm (or less) and an RPM of 500 on the new shaft. This is due to the conservation of energy and the fact that power remains constant. Using two belts in parallel does not magnify the torque, and the efficiency of belt drives should be taken into account when calculating power output.
skybug125
Please I need some help. I'm thinking that if I have a driving shaft with a torque of 10Nm and an RPM of 1000. If I add two 3 inches pulley on the shaft to transmit power to another shaft with a pair 6 inches pulley mounted on it and connected to the initial 3 inches via a belt. Will I have transmitted a total torque of 40Nm to this new bar and an RPM of 500?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The output will be 500rpm but the available torque will only be 20Nm (or less). Conservation of energy applies. If the belt was 100% efficient then Power Out = Power in.

Power = torque(in Nm) * angular velocity(in Rads/S)

So if you halve the rpm (angular velocity) you double the torque.

Using two belts in parallel doesn't magnify the torque (unless the torque was limited by the belt slipping).

It looks like your Power In is around 1000W. Belt drives can be 95% efficient so the Power Out is likely to be around 950W and at 500rpm that equates to 18Nm.

Thank you so much Cwatters, its obvious power must always remain constant. Thank you for taking out time explain this to me. Cheers

What is torque and RPM analysis?

Torque and RPM analysis is a process used to measure and analyze the rotational force (torque) and speed (RPM) of an object or system. It is commonly used in mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, and other fields to understand the performance and efficiency of rotating systems.

How is torque and RPM analysis performed?

Torque and RPM analysis is typically performed using specialized equipment such as a dynamometer, which can measure torque and RPM simultaneously. The object or system being analyzed is connected to the dynamometer, and the torque and RPM values are recorded and analyzed using software.

What is the relationship between torque and RPM?

Torque and RPM have an inverse relationship; as torque increases, RPM decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the power equation: Power = Torque x RPM. This means that a higher torque at a given RPM results in more power, and a higher RPM at a given torque results in more power.

What factors affect torque and RPM?

The torque and RPM of a rotating system can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the object, the material it is made of, the amount of friction present, and the input force or power being applied. The design and efficiency of the system also play a role in determining torque and RPM.

Why is torque and RPM analysis important?

Torque and RPM analysis is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the performance and efficiency of rotating systems. This information can be used to improve designs, optimize performance, and identify potential issues before they become major problems. Torque and RPM analysis also plays a crucial role in the development and testing of engines, motors, and other rotating machinery.