How to find the distance between two decelerating trains?

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trains
In summary, the Homework Statement is saying that the separation between the two trains at the end is 40 meters.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"As two trains move along a track, their conductors suddenly notice that the are headed toward each other. Figure 2-28 gives their velocities as functions of time t as the conductors slow th trains. The figure's vertical scaling is set by vs = 40.0 m/s. The slowing processes begin when the trains are 200 m apart. What is their separation when both trains have stopped?"
OwLXLLe.png

Homework Equations

x - x0 = v0t + ½at2
v0A = 40 m/s
aA = -0.8 m/s2
v0B = -30 m/s
aA = 0.75 m/s2
Answer from textbook: 40 m

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I listed all the equations for the movement of the trains.
##v_A(t) = -\frac{4}{5}t+40##
##s_A(t) = -\frac{2}{5}t^2+40t##
##v_B(t) = \frac{3}{4}t-30##
##s_B(t) = \frac{3}{8}t^2-30t##

Plugging in the appropriate times...
##s_A(5) = -10+200 = 190##
##s_B(4) = 6-120 = -114##

Adding them together, I do not get the answer listed in the book.
##s_A(5) + s_B(4) = 76 m ≠ 40m##

Though there are two very peculiar things I noticed with the velocity equations. When I set them to zero:
##0 = -\frac{4}{5}t+40##
##-40 = -\frac{4}{5}t##
##-40 = -\frac{4}{5}t##
##t = 50 s##

##0 = \frac{3}{4}t-30##
##30 = \frac{3}{4}t##
##t = 40s##

Those are clearly not the values depicted in Figure 2-28. I may be wrong, but these velocity equations may have two different constants. Anyway, the second thing; when I set both displacements to (4), I somehow end up with the correct answer, despite the fact that train A doesn't stop at 4 seconds.

##s_A(4) = -6.4+160 = 153.6##
##s_B(4) = 6-120 = -114##

Adding them together (not subtracting like in the previous operation),

##s_A(4) + s_B(4) = 39.6 = 40 m##

Overall, I'm very confused on how to do such a simple problem, and at this point, I'm just messing with numbers until I get the correct answer. I feel it's very inefficient, and there must be a better way of learning. Anyway, I don't understand this problem at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
##v_A(t) = -\frac{4}{5}t+40##
If I put ##t = 5## in that equation, I do not get ##v_A = 0##.

Check your acceleration values. I don't believe they are correct (off by a factor of 10?)

An easier approach to this problem would be to use the velocity graphs directly to get the distances traveled. Have you studied how to get the displacement from a velocity versus time graph?

DrClaude said:
If I put t=5t = 5 in that equation, I do not get vA=0v_A = 0.

I cannot believe I overlooked such a simple error.
##v_0A = 40 m/s##
##a_A = -8 m/s##
##v_0B = -30 m/s##
##a_B = 7.5 m/s##

##v_A(t) = -8t + 40##
##s_A(t) = -4t^2+40t##
##v_B(t) = 7.5t -30##
##s_B(t) = 3.75t^2-30t##

##s_A(5) = -4(25)+40(5) = -100+200=100##
##s_B(4) = 3.75(16)-30(4) = 60 - 120 = -60##

##s_A(5) + s_B(4) = 40 m##

TSny said:
An easier approach to this problem would be to use the velocity graphs directly to get the distances traveled. Have you studied how to get the displacement from a velocity versus time graph?

Don't I just take the areas under the graphs through integration and add them together?
##A_A = \frac{1}{2}5(40) = 100 m##
##A_B = \frac{1}{2}4(-30) = -60 m##
##A_A + A_B = 40 m##

Eclair_de_XII said:
Don't I just take the areas under the graphs through integration and add them together?
##A_A = \frac{1}{2}5(40) = 100 m##
##A_B = \frac{1}{2}4(-30) = -60 m##
Yes.
##A_A + A_B = 40 m##
I don't understand why you are adding the displacements. Did you take into account that the trains started 200 m apart? Would your answer change if they started 300 m apart?

Oh. I guess the absolute values of the two integrations represent how much distance is closed between them, and the distance remaining is their initial distance apart minus that?

##200-(A_A-A_B)=40m##

Yes, that looks good.

Thank you so much.

You guys have been a big help.

Question 1: What is the formula for finding the distance between two decelerating trains?

The formula for finding the distance between two decelerating trains is d = (v02 - v2)/2a, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, and a is the deceleration rate.

Question 2: How do I determine the initial and final velocities of the trains?

The initial and final velocities of the trains can be determined by measuring the speed of each train at a specific point in time. This can be done using a speedometer or by timing the trains as they pass a certain point.

Question 3: Is the deceleration rate the same for both trains?

No, the deceleration rate can vary between the two trains depending on factors such as their weight, braking systems, and track conditions. It is important to determine the deceleration rate for each train in order to accurately calculate the distance between them.

Question 4: Can I use the same formula to find the distance between accelerating trains?

No, the formula for finding the distance between two accelerating trains is different. It is d = (v2 - v02)/2a, where v0 is the initial velocity and v is the final velocity.

Question 5: Are there any other factors that can affect the distance between two decelerating trains?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the distance between two decelerating trains, such as wind resistance, friction, and the time it takes for the trains to fully come to a stop. These factors may need to be taken into account for more precise calculations.