How to find the distance the block travels?

• Thread starter marieb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the problem involves a 15 g bullet fired at 650 m/s into a 5 kg block that sits at the edge of a 65-cm-high table. The bullet embeds itself in the block and carries it off the table. To find the distance the block lands from the point directly below the table's edge, we can use the impulse-momentum theorem. We need to consider conservation of momentum in this type of collision and use the equation impulse=m(delta v). From there, we can calculate the final velocity of the block and use it to determine the distance it travels.
marieb

Homework Statement

A 15 g bullet is fired at 650 m/s into a 5 kg block that sits at the edge of a 65-cm-high table. The bullet embeds itself in the block and carries it off the table. How far from the point directly below the table's edge does the block land?

Homework Equations

Impulse=m(delta v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to do this. Perhaps try to find the impulse from the bullet on the block? I know impulse=m(delta v), and I think you would use the bullet's mass (?), and the initial velocity is 650 m/s, but I'm not sure what the final velocity is? If the block starts to move then I wouldn't think it would be zero...
And then from there I have no idea where I would go :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi marieb, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Hint: There's a type of collision involved, so think about what conservation law might be applicable.

1. How do I calculate the distance a block travels?

To calculate the distance a block travels, you will need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time it takes for the block to travel. The formula to use is: distance = (final velocity - initial velocity) * time.

2. What are the units for measuring distance?

The most commonly used unit for measuring distance is meters (m). However, depending on the size of the block, other units such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km) may also be used.

3. Can I use a stopwatch to measure the distance a block travels?

Yes, a stopwatch can be used to measure the time it takes for a block to travel. However, it is important to make sure the stopwatch is accurate and that the start and end times are recorded correctly.

4. What factors can affect the distance a block travels?

The distance a block travels can be affected by various factors such as the surface it is traveling on, the force applied to it, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. Is there a more accurate way to measure the distance a block travels?

Yes, using a measuring tool such as a ruler or a tape measure can provide a more accurate measurement of the distance a block travels. This is especially important when dealing with smaller distances.