How to find the matrix of the derivative endomorphism?

In summary, the teacher found a matrix ##A## that has the right property that when it's multiplied with itself, it gives the matrix of the second derivative. However, this doesn't work for all vectors and, multiplied by itself, it doesn't give the matrix of the second derivative, so it's still wrong.
Cathr
We have ##B=(1, X, X^2, X^3)## as a base of ##R3 [X]## and we have the endomorphisms ##d/dX## and ##d^2/dX^2## so that:

##d/dX (P) = P'## and ##d^2/dX^2 (P) = P''##.

Calculating the matrix in class, the teacher found the following matrix, call it ##A##:
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\

0 & 0 & 2 & 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & 3 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

This is the matrix for the first derivative, and it has the right property that when it's multiplied with itself, it gives the matrix of the second derivative:
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 2 & 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & 6 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

However, when I try to calculate the derivative of a polynomial, say ##P=X^3+ X^2 + X + 1##, I don't find the right answer.
I found that the transpose ##C## of the matrix ##A## works, so that if we multiply ##P## with the following matrix:\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 3 & 0
\end{bmatrix} *

I find ##P= 3X^2 + 2X +1##, which is the derivative.

However, this doesn't work for all vectors and, multiplied by itself, it doesn't give the matrix of the second derivative, so it's still wrong.

May you please give me a hint on finding the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
You write the basis in the order ##B=\{1,X,X^2,X^3\}##, but then you write the polynomial in the order ##P=X^3+X^2+X+1##, which indicates that you take the basis elements in the opposite order. I think this is the cause of the confusion, since the transformation matrix depends on the order of the basis elements. If we write ##P=1+X+X^2+X^3## and differentiate by multiplying the transformation matrix by the coordinate vector, you obtain the correct result ##P'=1+2X+3X^2##.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
an even nicer basis is obtained by tweaking this one a little to {1, X, X^2/2!, X^3/3!}. Then the non zero entries are all = 1, and the matrix for D is in "Jordan form". The operator (D-c) acting on the similar space {e^ct, te^ct, t^2/2! e^ct, t^3.3! e^ct} has a similar matrix, but also with the constant c on the diagonal. The amazing theorem is that this is, up to "similarity", the most general possible matrix! I.e., given any linear transformation at all on a finite dimensional space, as long as the roots of its characteristic polynomial all lie in the scalar field, then in some basis it has a matrix made up of copies of blocks like this.

So in some sense every linear transformation looks like copies of the derivative operator (D-c) acting on the solution space of the differential equation (D-c)^n = 0. This is discussed in my free linear algebra notes:

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/laprimexp.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is an endomorphism?

An endomorphism is a linear transformation from a vector space to itself. It maps elements from the same vector space to other elements within that same vector space.

2. What is the derivative of an endomorphism?

The derivative of an endomorphism is a linear transformation that represents the rate of change of the endomorphism at a specific point. It shows how the endomorphism changes as its input changes.

3. How do you find the matrix of the derivative endomorphism?

To find the matrix of the derivative endomorphism, you first need to find the derivative of each element in the endomorphism. Then, you can arrange these derivatives into a matrix, with each column representing the derivatives of a specific element in the endomorphism.

4. What is the importance of finding the matrix of the derivative endomorphism?

Finding the matrix of the derivative endomorphism allows you to understand how the endomorphism changes at a specific point. This can be useful in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as optimization and dynamical systems.

5. Are there any shortcuts or techniques for finding the matrix of the derivative endomorphism?

Yes, there are some techniques that can make finding the matrix of the derivative endomorphism easier. One method is to use the chain rule, which allows you to find the derivatives of composite functions. Another technique is to use the Jacobian matrix, which can simplify the process of finding the matrix of the derivative endomorphism for multivariable functions.