How to find the Moment of Inertia for a Sphero robot?

In summary, the moment of inertia around the center of a sphere can be determined by measuring the height at which the sphere falls and plugging in the value for the q parameter.
GopherTv
TL;DR Summary
A Sphero is a programable robot that has a Moment of inertia somewhere between 2/3MR^2 (Thin spherical shell) and 2/5MR^2 (Solid Sphere)
What kind of experiment can I design to determine the actual value of the moment of inertia. What should I instruct the sphero to do and what data should I collect?

Attachments

• 1651112198259.png
    1651112198259.png
    109 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
Get it to roll without slipping down an incline starting from rest and have it report its speed at the bottom of the incline. Energy conservation says that for a vertical drop ##h## the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the center of mass and rotational energy about the center of mass,$$mgh=\frac{1}{2}mV_{\text{cm}}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{\text{cm}}\omega^2.$$As you noted, you can write the moment of inertia about the CoM as ##I_{\text{cm}}=qmR^2## where ##q## is the constant fraction that you want to determine. If this thing rolls without slipping, ##\omega =\dfrac{V_{\text{cm}}}{R}## in which case the energy conservation equation becomes $$mgh=\frac{1}{2}mV_{\text{cm}}^2+\frac{1}{2}(qmR^2)\left( \frac{V_{\text{cm}}}{R}\right)^2.$$After the obvious cancellations you get $$gh=\frac{1}{2}V_{\text{cm}}^2+\frac{1}{2}qV_{\text{cm}}^2\implies q=\frac{2gh}{V_{\text{cm}}^2}-1.$$So all you have to do is measure the vertical height by which it drops and have it tell you how fast it is moving after it drops by that height and plug in. Its mass or radius don't matter with this technique. This is counterintuitive when what you are trying to determine is its moment of inertia but there you have it. Just make sure there is no slipping.

Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
Just make sure there is no slipping.
And that it rolls down without power

Last edited:
Likes kuruman
Ok, this makes sense, i appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
Get it to roll without slipping down an incline starting from rest and have it report its speed at the bottom of the incline. Energy conservation says that for a vertical drop ##h## the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the center of mass and rotational energy about the center of mass,$$mgh=\frac{1}{2}mV_{\text{cm}}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{\text{cm}}\omega^2.$$As you noted, you can write the moment of inertia about the CoM as ##I_{\text{cm}}=qmR^2## where ##q## is the constant fraction that you want to determine. If this thing rolls without slipping, ##\omega =\dfrac{V_{\text{cm}}}{R}## in which case the energy conservation equation becomes $$mgh=\frac{1}{2}mV_{\text{cm}}^2+\frac{1}{2}(qmR^2)\left( \frac{V_{\text{cm}}}{R}\right)^2.$$After the obvious cancellations you get $$gh=\frac{1}{2}V_{\text{cm}}^2+\frac{1}{2}qV_{\text{cm}}^2\implies q=\frac{2gh}{V_{\text{cm}}^2}-1.$$So all you have to do is measure the vertical height by which it drops and have it tell you how fast it is moving after it drops by that height and plug in. Its mass or radius don't matter with this technique. This is counterintuitive when what you are trying to determine is its moment of inertia but there you have it. Just make sure there is no slipping.
The CM might not be in the center of the sphere ( its axis of rotation) as it is in a solid sphere or shell with uniform density which I think adds another parameter to finding the MOI, thus making this inconclusive?

Does the robot itself rotate, or does it remain "level" while the shell rotates?

EDIT:
From what I can tell, the shell rotates, the "bot" driving it tries not to. So, if its rolling down a hill ( and it its on ) it is actively applying forces to the shell through it rollers to maintain it orientation. These forces ( and other internal rotating components ) are probably the reason the MOI appears to be between the shell and the solid sphere.

Last edited:

1. What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of the mass and square of the distance from the axis of rotation for all the particles in an object.

2. Why is Moment of Inertia important for a Sphero robot?

Moment of Inertia is important for a Sphero robot because it affects its stability and how it responds to external forces. A higher Moment of Inertia means the robot will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, making it more stable.

3. How do I calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Sphero robot?

The Moment of Inertia for a Sphero robot can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where I is the Moment of Inertia, M is the mass of the robot, and R is the radius of the robot. This assumes that the robot is a solid sphere with uniform density.

4. Can the Moment of Inertia for a Sphero robot vary?

Yes, the Moment of Inertia for a Sphero robot can vary depending on its shape and distribution of mass. For example, if the robot has additional attachments or components, its Moment of Inertia will be different compared to a solid sphere with the same mass.

5. How can I use the Moment of Inertia to improve my Sphero robot's performance?

By understanding the Moment of Inertia for your Sphero robot, you can make adjustments to its design or weight distribution to improve its stability and maneuverability. A lower Moment of Inertia can also make the robot more responsive to external forces, allowing for more precise movements.