How to find the natural frequency in ansys apdl

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to using ANSYS and is struggling with modeling a high speed rotating shaft that includes two discs and a bearing. The dimensions and properties of the components are provided, as well as the issues the person is facing. They have taken classes in FEA and are using ANSYS help as a tutorial, but are still having trouble with the modeling phase. They are seeking assistance in resolving the discrepancies between their results and the theoretical results.
dhirendra pandey
Hi! I am new in ansys. I am doing rotor dynamic study of a high speed rotating shaft. the shaft comprise of two discs and at the it ends the shaft is supported by the bearing I am facing problem in modelling stage please tell me how to model the bearing and disc briefly.I am uploading the image and these are the dimension.Please Do reply.
Untit.png

Diameter of disc 1 = 0.28m
Diameter of disc 2 = 0.35m
Diameter of shaft = 0.05m
Length of the shaft = 1.5m
Thickness of disc 1, disk 2 = 0.07m
Modulus of Elasticity = 211 GN/m^2
Modulus of Rigidity = 81.2 GN/m^2
Density = 7800 kg/m^3
Speed = 4000 rpm
Bearing stiffness = 1 MN/m

Engineering news on Phys.org
It isn't realistic to expect an online forum to teach you how to use a complex program like ANSYS, there are just too many considerations. Are you taking a class in FEA and its usage? Have you found any tutorial materials regarding setting up a rotor dynamics simulation in ANSYS?

Mech_Engineer said:
It isn't realistic to expect an online forum to teach you how to use a complex program like ANSYS, there are just too many considerations. Are you taking a class in FEA and its usage? Have you found any tutorial materials regarding setting up a rotor dynamics simulation in ANSYS?
I am a M.Tech student and yes i have taken the FEM classes and i am using ansys help as a tutorial and I am using APDL but there is problem in the modelling phase the results are not matching with the theoretical result pls help me.

1. How do I determine the natural frequency in ANSYS APDL?

To find the natural frequency in ANSYS APDL, you will need to perform a modal analysis. This involves creating a finite element model, applying appropriate boundary conditions, and then running the analysis. Once the analysis is complete, the natural frequency will be displayed in the results.

2. What is the significance of the natural frequency in ANSYS APDL?

The natural frequency in ANSYS APDL is an important parameter in structural dynamics and vibration analysis. It represents the frequency at which a structure or system will vibrate without any external forces applied. It can help identify potential resonance issues and provide insight into the behavior of a structure under dynamic loads.

3. Can I change the material properties to affect the natural frequency in ANSYS APDL?

Yes, the natural frequency in ANSYS APDL is affected by the material properties of a structure. Changing the material properties, such as density or Young's modulus, can result in a change in the natural frequency. However, other factors such as geometry and boundary conditions also play a role in determining the natural frequency.

4. How does the element type affect the determination of natural frequency in ANSYS APDL?

The element type used in the finite element model can affect the determination of natural frequency in ANSYS APDL. Different element types have different stiffness and mass properties, which can impact the natural frequency results. It is important to choose an appropriate element type for accurate analysis results.

5. Is there a way to visualize the natural frequency results in ANSYS APDL?

Yes, ANSYS APDL has visualization tools that allow you to view the natural frequency results. You can create animations to see the mode shapes and their corresponding natural frequencies. This can help in understanding the behavior of a structure and identifying any potential resonance issues.