How to Find the Number of Liters of Gas Used in a Gasoline Engine

In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of fuel consumed by a multicylinder gasoline engine in an airplane in one hour of operation. The energy input and exhaust for each revolution of the crankshaft are given, and the heat of combustion of the fuel is also provided. After manipulating units and multiplying by the number of revolutions per minute, the solution is found by dividing the work done per hour by the heat of combustion. However, it is important to note that only the input energy should be considered when calculating the fuel consumption.
Benb591

Homework Statement

The problem is "A multicylinder gasoline engine in an airplane, operating at 2.40
multiply.gif
10^3 rev/min, takes in energy 7.98
multiply.gif
10^3 J and exhausts 4.50
multiply.gif
10^3 J for each revolution of the crankshaft." and it wants me to find the liters of fuel consumed in 1 hr of operation if the heat of combustion of the fuel is 4.03
multiply.gif
10^7 J/L.

Homework Equations

Work done by an engine is Energy in - energy out

I then just tried to manipulate units since I was very confused...

The Attempt at a Solution

I did (7.98*10^3)-(4.5*10^3)*(2.4*10^3) to get the work done per minute. Then converted to work per hour by multiplying by 60. Then divided by the heat of combustion. This made my units come out as L/h revolutions, and as revolutions are unit-less I thought it would work but it did not...help!

Thank you,
Ben

Attachments

• multiply.gif
    multiply.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 844
  • multiply.gif
    multiply.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 856
  • multiply.gif
    multiply.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 866
  • multiply.gif
    multiply.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
How many liters of fuel are used per engine revolution?

Two comments:

(1) The energies are given in J/revolution, so when you multiply by rev/minute the revolutions cancel and units come out right.

(2) Why subtract the exhausted energy? The fuel used depends on the input energy only.

Oh...ok it makes sense now thank you so much!

What is the formula for calculating the number of liters of gas used in a gasoline engine?

The formula for finding the number of liters of gas used in a gasoline engine is: liters of gas used = distance traveled (in km) / fuel efficiency (in km/L).

How do I determine the fuel efficiency of my gasoline engine?

The fuel efficiency of a gasoline engine can be determined by dividing the total distance traveled (in km) by the amount of gas used (in liters).

What unit of measurement should I use for distance traveled and fuel efficiency?

Distance traveled should be measured in kilometers (km) and fuel efficiency should be measured in kilometers per liter (km/L).

Is there a more accurate way to calculate the number of liters of gas used in a gasoline engine?

Using the trip computer or fuel consumption gauge on your vehicle can provide a more accurate reading of the liters of gas used in your gasoline engine.

Can I convert the liters of gas used to another unit of measurement?

Yes, you can convert the liters of gas used to gallons by multiplying the liters by 0.264172. You can also convert to other units such as barrels or cubic feet, but these are not commonly used for measuring gas consumption in a gasoline engine.