How to find the surface density for a given linear density

In summary, in order to deduce the surface mass density in a given square with a linear mass density of λ(x) = a * x, one must divide the linear mass density by a length l, which could be the y coordinate or dy, depending on the approach being used. This allows for the calculation of the areal density, which is equal to the total mass divided by the total area. In the case of a uniform density, this length l is simply the distance in x, but in the case of a non-uniform density, it may vary depending on the specific problem at hand.
Inquisitive Student
Given a square with a linear mass density of:

λ(x) = a * x (see image below where black is high density and white is low density)

200px-XO-4-test-display-5-black-vs-white-horizontal-gradient.png

how would you deduce what the surface mass density is?

I get confused for the following reason:

To me it seems that the surface mass density should depend on x, because the further left or right you go the linear density changes, so why wouldn't the surface density change as well. A surface mass density must have units of $$\frac{m}{L^2}$$ so since λ(x) has units of $$\frac{m}{L}$$ I would think I need to divide λ(x) by some length. I don't think you would divide by y (the height coordinate) because the density is translationally invariant in y. But that means you have to divide by x to get the right units, and that would mean that the surface mass density is a constant, which doesn't make physical sense to me.

Attachments

• 200px-XO-4-test-display-5-black-vs-white-horizontal-gradient.png
    200px-XO-4-test-display-5-black-vs-white-horizontal-gradient.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 826
Physics news on Phys.org
Inquisitive Student said:
I don't think you would divide by y (the height coordinate) because the density is translationally invariant in y.
Seems to me that's pretty much why you should divide by the linear mass density by y. The linear mass element (a point) is getting smeared up and down a surface mass element (a vertical line) of length y.

If I told you that the total mass of a square sheet was m and that it had uniform areal density, how would you get that density?

Ibix said:
If I told you that the total mass of a square sheet was m and that it had uniform areal density, how would you get that density?
I would divide the total mass m by the total area A:
$$\sigma = \frac{m_{tot}}{A}$$

Inquisitive Student said:
I would divide the total mass m by the total area A:
$$\sigma = \frac{m_{tot}}{A}$$
And the area is the square of the side length, ##A=L^2##. But now you've got a 1d density variation. What's the appropriate length you were looking for?

Ibix said:
And the area is the square of the side length. But now you've got a 1d density variation. What's the appropriate length you were looking for?
Is this what you mean:

$$\sigma = \frac{m_{tot}}{L^2}$$

but the total mass is equal to the masses of the infinitely thin lines that you stack up together to create a square:

$$\frac{\int_0^L {\lambda(x) dx} * L}{L^2} = \frac{\int_0^L {a*x dx} * L}{L^2} = \frac{a *\frac{L^2}{2}* L}{L^2} = \frac{aL}{2} $$

That seems over-complex. My point was that you were correct to say you need to find a length to divide by.

In the simple uniform density case the linear density is ##m/L##. The areal density is ##m/L^2##. What is the length I divided by to get the areal density? Given that your density is uniform in the y direction, should your approach be different?

Another way to look at it is that the total mass is ##m=\iint\sigma(x,y)dxdy##. But you know that ##\sigma(x,y)=\lambda(x)/l##, where ##l## is this length that's confusing you. So you have ##m=\iint(\lambda(x)/l)dxdy##. But from the definition of linear density you know that ##m=\int\lambda(x)dx##. What's ##l##?

Ibix said:
That seems over-complex. My point was that you were correct to say you need to find a length to divide by.

In the simple uniform density case the linear density is ##m/L##. The areal density is ##m/L^2##. What is the length I divided by to get the areal density? Given that your density is uniform in the y direction, should your approach be different?

Another way to look at it is that the total mass is ##m=\iint\sigma(x,y)dxdy##. But you know that ##\sigma(x,y)=\lambda(x)/l##, where ##l## is this length that's confusing you. So you have ##m=\iint(\lambda(x)/l)dxdy##. But from the definition of linear density you know that ##m=\int\lambda(x)dx##. What's ##l##?

In the uniform density case you had $$\lambda = \frac{m}{L}$$ where in this case L is the distance in x. Then you divide by the y coordinate to get the area density.

So then it looks like it should be l = y (or maybe l = dy because you have $$\iint (\lambda(x) / l) dxdy = \int \lambda(x) dx$$)

1. What is surface density and how is it different from linear density?

Surface density is a measure of how much mass is present in a given area, while linear density is a measure of how much mass is present in a given length. In other words, surface density takes into account the two-dimensional aspect of an object, while linear density only considers its one-dimensional aspect.

2. How do you calculate surface density from linear density?

To calculate surface density from linear density, you need to know the length of the object and its mass. Then, divide the mass by the length to get the linear density. Finally, divide the linear density by the length again to get the surface density.

3. What are the units for surface density?

The units for surface density depend on the units used for length and mass. Common units include kilograms per square meter (kg/m2) or grams per square centimeter (g/cm2).

4. Can surface density be negative?

No, surface density cannot be negative. It is a measure of mass per unit area, so it will always be a positive value.

5. What are some real-world applications of surface density?

Surface density is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and geology. It can be used to calculate the weight of materials such as paper or fabric, determine the strength of materials, and analyze the composition of minerals in rocks.