How to find the value of the baryon asymmetry in this paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of the baryon to photon ratio in a study on baryogenesis, citing a paper that provides a range of ##\eta## values. The review suggests reading the referenced paper for more details on how these values were obtained.
Safinaz
TL;DR Summary
Any help how to find the right value of the baryon asymmetry or the baryon density expected from the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis (BBN) of order ##\sim 10^{-10}## in a paper
I'm trying to understand from this paper

https://pdg.lbl.gov/2020/reviews/rpp2020-rev-bbang-nucleosynthesis.pdf

What is the value of the baryon to photon ratio ##\eta=n_b/n_\gamma## as named in figure 24.1, but I can't get from the figure or the paper how ##\eta## is of order ##10^{-10}##

Any help in reading such papers?

I mean I found in another study that the value of ##\eta## as expected from BBN is of order: ##6.07\pm0.33 \times 10^{-10} ##

So where can we find such value in the mentioned paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
Safinaz said:
Any help in reading such papers?

That's a review. It's job is to summarize and point you to the references. To understand the details, read the references.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's a review. It's job is to summarize and point you to the references. To understand the details, read the references.
I was reading a study about baryogenesis and the authors cited the mentioned paper and its ##\eta## value, so I just wonder how they concluded this value

Last edited by a moderator:

Likes vanhees71
It literally briefly mentions how things are done and give you the references to where the details can be found.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the baryon asymmetry in this paper?

The baryon asymmetry in this paper refers to the difference in the number of baryons (particles made up of three quarks, such as protons and neutrons) and anti-baryons (particles made up of three anti-quarks) in the universe. It is a measure of the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the early universe.

2. Why is it important to find the value of the baryon asymmetry?

Finding the value of the baryon asymmetry is important because it can help us understand why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe. This is a fundamental question in physics and could provide insights into the origins of the universe and the laws of nature.

3. How is the value of the baryon asymmetry determined in this paper?

In this paper, the value of the baryon asymmetry is determined through theoretical calculations and analysis of experimental data. The researchers use various mathematical models and equations to predict the expected value of the baryon asymmetry and compare it to the actual measurements obtained from experiments.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the baryon asymmetry value in this paper?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the baryon asymmetry value in this paper, such as the precision of the experimental measurements, the assumptions made in the theoretical calculations, and the uncertainties in the underlying physics theories. Additionally, the baryon asymmetry may also vary in different regions of the universe, making it challenging to determine a universal value.

5. How can the value of the baryon asymmetry be used in other areas of research?

The value of the baryon asymmetry obtained in this paper can be used in other areas of research, such as cosmology, particle physics, and astrophysics. It can provide insights into the behavior of matter and antimatter in the early universe and help us understand the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures. Additionally, it can also be used to test and refine existing theories and models in these fields.