How to fix a quad bike handlebar starter

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a quad bike handlebar starter switch. The person experiencing the issue hears a humming sound but the switch does not seem to be getting power from the alternator. Suggestions are made to verify the stater relay, bypass the posts of the starter solenoid, and check the fuses and safety switches. The quad bike in question is a Kazuma 80cc model that does not use a key. The person is not familiar with the schematic diagram and is seeking more information to troubleshoot the issue.
Siviwe Nkosana
TL;DR Summary
Installation or a repair of quad bike handlebar starter switch
I am currently facing a problem with my quad bike handlebar starter switch.
When i am turning it on it does humming but it seems as if it is not getting the power to its alternator

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_162423.jpg
    IMG_20200620_162423.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 208
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome!
I would verify that the stater relay is working properly.
The switch may not be the problem if you are hearing that humming sound.
If accessible, you could try by-passing the posts of the starter solenoid in order to see if electricity is reaching the starter motor.
If not, check the fuses and the safety switches.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Siviwe Nkosana said:
Summary:: Installation or a repair of quad bike handlebar starter switch

I am currently facing a problem with my quad bike handlebar starter switch.
When i am turning it on it does humming but it seems as if it is not getting the power to its alternator
Did it ever work for you? If it worked, how long have you had it and it was working? If it's a new switch that you installed, what happened to the old one? Does it have a key lock? If so, why did you have to change keys?

How are the wires joined under that black electrical tape? Are they just twisted, or are they twisted and soldered?

Can you post a link to the schematic for that quad's electrical system? Which quad is it?

berkeman said:

Did it ever work for you? If it worked, how long have you had it and it was working? If it's a new switch that you installed, what happened to the old one? Does it have a key lock? If so, why did you have to change keys?

How are the wires joined under that black electrical tape? Are they just twisted, or are they twisted and soldered?

Can you post a link to the schematic for that quad's electrical system? Which quad is it?
The bike worked completely well for me in the past few weeks
Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
If accessible, you could try by-passing the posts of the starter solenoid in order to see if electricity is reaching the starter motor.
The bike had been working completely well for me, in the past few weeks.
The problem with it has started by the time, there were two desoldered wires from its switch that have 3 wires
berkeman said:

The problem with it has started by the time, there were two desoldered wires from its switch that have 3 wires connected on it.
The switch is some sort of a prong it have three poles or terminal.

First wire is Black with white stripes. The second wire is green,
And is connected in the middleThe third wire is also green and it that goes to the second switch which i guess is a pushed Starter switch, which has two poles with green wire that is coming from the prong switch and there's an outgoing wire that i guess is going to the quad system so that it can start.

The quad is model us Kazuma 80cc quad bike

As for the schematic diagram i am not so familiar with it i actually don't have it i was only taking chances in wiring it and i mma be so happy if someone can tell more on how does it system operates so that I can figure out which wire is supplying the power and so on
NB:This quad doesn't use a key
berkeman said:

The problem with it has started by the time, there were two desoldered wires from its switch that have 3 wires connected on it.
The switch is some sort of a prong it have three poles or terminal.

First wire is Black with white stripes. The second wire is green,
And is connected in the middleThe third wire is also green and it that goes to the second switch which i guess is a pushed Starter switch, which has two poles with green wire that is coming from the prong switch and there's an outgoing wire that i guess is going to the quad system so that it can start.

The quad is model us Kazuma 80cc quad bike

As for the schematic diagram i am not so familiar with it i actually don't have it i was only taking chances in wiring it and i mma be so happy if someone can tell more on how does it system operates so that I can figure out which wire is supplying the power and so on

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
I would like to know which wire is supplying the power off to the on/off switch and off to the starter pushed button
Basically i want to know how can i know i identity it?

Likes Siviwe Nkosana
check the battery. never assume the battery is ok. Put the quad in neutral so when the starter runs it will not rotate the gears / tires. I would get a known good battery and set it next to the quad. i would use jumper wires to hook up to a good ground o nquad to negative on battery. take a wire jumper from hot posative post on battery to the starter post. touch it to see if the starter rotates.
if it does , next try the starter solenoid. If the solenoid operates and kicks on the starter then you have a wiring problem between the solenoid and the handlebar switch. my bet is the battery and connections are bad.

Likes Siviwe Nkosana
Ranger Mike said:
check the battery. never assume the battery is ok. Put the quad in neutral so when the starter runs it will not rotate the gears / tires. I would get a known good battery and set it next to the quad. i would use jumper wires to hook up to a good ground o nquad to negative on battery. take a wire jumper from hot posative post on battery to the starter post. touch it to see if the starter rotates.
if it does , next try the starter solenoid. If the solenoid operates and kicks on the starter then you have a wiring problem between the solenoid and the handlebar switch. my bet is the battery and connections are bad.
Seems helpful Buddy i'll take note of your tips.
But i'mma be so proud if i can find an accurate way of wiring that handlebar switch and a bit of brief on how the power travels from the battery to switches

Likes Ranger Mike
Siviwe Nkosana said:
But i'mma be so proud if i can find an accurate way of wiring that handlebar switch and a bit of brief on how the power travels from the battery to switches
As @Ranger Mike said, make sure that the battery isn't the problem. If the voltage is low, it could be that the battery has a dead cell, or the alternator isn't charging it. If the batteries on my motorcycles last for four years, I consider that a success.

From what you wrote, it seems to me that what you're describing is an ignition switch. I found a wiring diagram for a Kazuma 110cc ATV, that seems close to what you're describing. In the diagram the ignition switch has a green wire that goes to ground, and a black and white wire that comes from something called Remote Control. Another wire goes to the starter relay, but the diagram doesn't indicate the color of this wire. There is also a separate starter switch with a red/yellow wire coming in and some other wire going out, with no indication of its color.

A typical handlebar starter switch would be separate from an ignition switch. A starter switch on the handlebar doesn't directly cause the starter to turn. The starter switch (or button) isn't beefy enough to handle the large current draw that the starter needs. Instead, the switch energizes a relay, which causes some heavy duty contacts to connect, and they send current to the starter solenoid. The solenoid extends the starter pinion shaft so that it contacts the ring gear on the transmission (or maybe on the engine).

Here's a link to a Kazuma 110CC quad - https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/7705-kazuma-falcon-110-wiring-harness-diagram/ Hope that helps.

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do I know if my quad bike handlebar starter needs to be fixed?

There are a few signs that may indicate your quad bike handlebar starter needs to be fixed. These include difficulty starting the quad bike, a clicking noise when trying to start the bike, or a complete failure to start. It's always best to consult a professional mechanic to properly diagnose and fix any issues with your quad bike handlebar starter.

2. Can I fix a quad bike handlebar starter on my own?

It is not recommended to try and fix a quad bike handlebar starter on your own unless you have experience and knowledge in repairing quad bikes. The process can be complicated and requires specialized tools. It's best to seek the help of a professional mechanic to ensure the starter is fixed correctly.

3. How much does it cost to fix a quad bike handlebar starter?

The cost of fixing a quad bike handlebar starter can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the make and model of your quad bike. On average, the cost can range from $100 to $500. It's best to get a quote from a professional mechanic to get an accurate estimate.

4. How often should I get my quad bike handlebar starter checked?

It's recommended to get your quad bike handlebar starter checked by a professional mechanic at least once a year. However, if you notice any issues with starting your quad bike, it's best to get it checked immediately to prevent further damage.

5. How can I prevent my quad bike handlebar starter from getting damaged?

To prevent damage to your quad bike handlebar starter, it's important to properly maintain your quad bike. This includes regular oil changes, keeping the battery charged, and avoiding harsh riding conditions. It's also important to address any issues with the starter as soon as they arise to prevent further damage.