How to Fly a B-26: Official Training Film

In summary, "How to fly a B-26 - an official training film" is a video that teaches viewers how to fly a B-26 aircraft in case they are ever stranded on a desert island. The film includes information on primitive radio procedures and the importance of short radio calls during wartime. It also briefly mentions the length of pre-flight checklists and compares it to the time it takes for a Flywheel Trebuchet to launch.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to fly a B-26 - an official training film.

Just in case you're ever trapped on a desert island with no means of escape except a B-26...

• Informative
Likes apostolosdt, mcastillo356 and DaveE
Physics news on Phys.org
How to design a cross flow turbine

Ivan Seeking said:

Just in case you're ever trapped on a desert island with no means of escape except a B-26...

I'm pretty sure I'd die on, or very near, that island.

Anyway, I thought the primitive radio procedures were striking. No read backs, it's all "Wilco" & "Roger". Is that how they really did it?

Likes Ivan Seeking
DaveE said:
No read backs, it's all "Wilco" & "Roger". Is that how they really did it?
I think the read backs came after lots of crashes into control towers and other stuff... o0)

Likes Ivan Seeking and DaveE
berkeman said:
I think the read backs came after lots of crashes into control towers and other stuff... o0)
Although, as a HAM radio operator serving my local fire department in disaster training, I was chided a bit by a FF (who later became chief) who was in the Special Forces at the tip of several spears. He kept reminding me and the other HAM operators that the longer you talk on the radio, the easier it is for the enemy to figure out your position. So in wartime (or military training), the radio calls and responses tend to be very short.

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking and DaveE
berkeman said:
Although, as a HAM radio operator serving my local fire department in disaster training, I was chided a bit by a FF (who later became Chief) who was in the Special Forces at the tip of several spears. He kept reminding me and the other HAM operators that the longer you talk on the radio, the easier it is for the enemy to figure out your position. So in wartime (or military training), the radio calls and responses tend to be very short.
Yea, you don't want to be drawling on and on with those landing clearances like they do at LAX or JFK :wink:

Likes Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
As one of the comments says, I reckon the war was over before they got through that pre-flight checklist...

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking, DaveE and BillTre
How to dispose of metallic sodium

Likes DaveE
How to make a Flywheel Trebuchet

1. How long does it take to learn how to fly a B-26?

The official training film for flying a B-26 usually takes about 10-12 weeks to complete. However, the exact length of time will vary depending on the individual's learning abilities and the intensity of the training program.

2. What are the basic skills needed to fly a B-26?

To fly a B-26, you will need to have a strong understanding of the principles of flight, basic navigation skills, and the ability to operate the aircraft's complex instruments and controls. Additionally, good hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, and quick decision-making skills are also essential.

3. Is it difficult to land a B-26?

Landing a B-26 can be challenging, especially for beginners. The aircraft is known for having a high landing speed and a tendency to bounce on the runway. However, with proper training and practice, it is possible to become proficient at landing a B-26.

4. Can anyone learn to fly a B-26?

While anyone can technically learn to fly a B-26, it requires a significant amount of dedication, hard work, and physical and mental stamina. Additionally, individuals must meet certain physical and mental requirements set by the military or aviation organization they are training with.

5. How often do B-26 pilots have to undergo training?

B-26 pilots are required to undergo regular training to maintain their skills and stay updated on new techniques and technology. The frequency of training will depend on the regulations of the military or aviation organization, but it typically occurs at least once a year. Pilots may also undergo additional training if they are transitioning to a new type of B-26 or need to brush up on specific skills.