How to get a CAD drawing machined?

In summary, the person is trying to manufacture a stator and rotor for a motor as a learning project. They are struggling to find resources online for small orders and are considering making the stator themselves. They are advised to contact local machine shops for quotes on profile cutting using CAD drawings, but may need to source the steel themselves. Accuracy can be achieved through laser cutting and the person is located in the USA.
fahraynk
Hi. I am trying to figure out how to get a stator and rotor manufactured for a motor I am building as a learning project. Anyone have any clue how I can get a stator manufactured from a cad drawing with electrical steel ?

Everything I see on the net is for large orders sigh. I have never done this before so I figured id ask for help. Am I going to have to make the stator myself or is it easy to find someone to machine it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
the normal process to make the laminations is punching but tooling costs for punching are high. For a very short run profile cutting is probably cheaper, call around your local firms that do plasma/waterjet/laser cutting and get some quotes. Generally you just need to provide a dxf. You may have to source the steel yourself as they probably won't stock it.

Likes mechpeac and Nidum
Likes berkeman and CalcNerd
Just contact a local machine shop and ask for a quote. You'll need to know what sort of tolerance you need and what materials and finish you want.

Likes mechpeac
@fahraynk - I regularly get small parts laser cut which are so accurate for size that they need no further machining .

Which country are you in ?

1. How do I prepare a CAD drawing for machining?

To prepare a CAD drawing for machining, you will need to ensure that it is a 2D or 3D model that accurately represents the dimensions and specifications of the part you want to create. You will also need to include any necessary measurement annotations and labeling for the machinist to understand the design. Finally, you will need to export the drawing in a format that is compatible with the machine, such as a .dxf or .dwg file.

2. What are the key considerations for creating a CAD drawing that can be machined?

Some key considerations for creating a CAD drawing that can be machined include understanding the capabilities and limitations of the specific machine you will be using, ensuring that your dimensions and tolerances are within the machine's capabilities, and accounting for any necessary material removal processes such as drilling or milling.

3. Can I use any CAD software for creating drawings for machining?

While some CAD software may have more advanced features specifically for creating machinable drawings, most CAD programs can be used for this purpose as long as you have a good understanding of the machine's capabilities and the necessary design considerations. It is always best to consult with the machinist or manufacturer for specific software recommendations.

4. What is the typical process for getting a CAD drawing machined?

The typical process for getting a CAD drawing machined involves first creating the drawing and ensuring it is correctly formatted and compatible with the machine. Then, you will need to submit the drawing to the machinist or manufacturer for a quote and to discuss any necessary modifications. Once the design is finalized and approved, the machinist will set up the machine and create the part according to your drawing.

5. Are there any special considerations for getting a complex or intricate CAD drawing machined?

Yes, there are some special considerations for getting a complex or intricate CAD drawing machined. You will need to carefully assess the machine's capabilities and ensure that the design can be accurately produced with the available tools. It may also be helpful to consult with the machinist for their input and recommendations on how to best approach the machining process for a more complex design.