Attach plates (my design) to the stator core of the machine

Hassan300
I am working on an electrical engineering project. However, I have come across a specific mechanical engineering problem. I have attached an image to describe what I want to do. I have primarily a stator core (made out of electrical steel laminated sheets) named part number "1". I have a double-sided adhesive insulation tape named part number "2". Lastly, I have a sheet of electrical steel, which I call a plate, named part number "3". The part number 2 will be put on the inner diameter of part number 1. After that, part number 3 will be put on the inner diameter of part number 1, which already has the part number 2. The part number 3 is made up of multiple strips (as you can see in the figure). Can you guys tell me the most efficient and precise way of putting these parts together, like I described above? You are welcome to give the suggestions regarding techniques or the tools. You are welcome to ask any follow-up questions.
Capture1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I expect it will take more than double-sided tape2 to stop plate3 moving on core1. Plate3 will get hot due to eddy currents. That makes organic adhesives questionable. Maybe you will need a mineral cement and some form of mechanical lock.

There would need to be some way to align the poles of core1 with the fingers of plate3. I assume the poles are equal in number. Plate3 would need to be made to collapse, then expand in diameter, so it could be inserted, then unrolled or expanded onto the inside of core1. That would require one cut, or a 'z' bend in each joiner between the sub-plates of plate3.

1. What materials are commonly used for plates in stator core designs?

Common materials used for plates in stator core designs include silicon steel, which is favored for its excellent magnetic properties and low power loss. Other materials such as nickel-iron alloys and cobalt-iron alloys are also used for specific applications requiring higher permeability and heat resistance.

2. How are plates typically attached to the stator core in electrical machines?

Plates are typically attached to the stator core using methods such as welding, riveting, or using adhesives. The choice of attachment method depends on the design requirements, material compatibility, and the mechanical stresses the stator will endure. Laser welding and epoxy adhesives are popular due to their reliability and strength.

3. What are the primary considerations when designing plates for attachment to a stator core?

The primary considerations include thermal expansion, electromagnetic properties, mechanical strength, and ease of assembly. Designers must ensure that the plates can withstand operational temperatures and stresses without deforming or detaching. Additionally, the design should minimize eddy currents and magnetic losses to maintain efficiency.

4. How does the attachment of plates to the stator core affect the performance of the machine?

The attachment of plates to the stator core directly affects the machine's magnetic flux distribution, mechanical robustness, and thermal performance. Improper attachment can lead to increased vibration, noise, and even mechanical failure. Properly attached plates ensure optimal magnetic performance and heat dissipation, leading to improved efficiency and longevity of the machine.

5. What are some innovative methods for improving the attachment of plates to stator cores?

Recent innovations in attaching plates to stator cores include the use of advanced materials like nanostructured adhesives, which provide better thermal and mechanical properties. Ultrasonic welding is another innovative method that offers strong, durable joints without the need for additional materials. Additionally, 3D printing technologies are being explored to create more complex geometries that fit more securely and allow for integrated cooling channels or sensor paths.