How to Get Covariance of Bivariate Poisson Distribution

In summary, the conversation discussed the bivariate Poisson distribution and how to calculate the covariance of two random variables, X and Y, following this distribution. It was determined that the covariance is equal to θ3, assuming that the Xi variables are independent. The conversation also included a brief discussion on how to explain this assumption and derive the covariance mathematically.
ahdika
Dear all, I have a problem in solving covariance of Bivariate Poisson Distribution

Let X_i \sim POI (\theta_i) , i = 1,2,3
Consider
X = X_1 + X_3
Y = X_2 + X_3

Then the joint probability function given :
P(X = x, Y = y) = e^{\theta_1+\theta_2+\theta_3} \frac {\theta_1^x}{x!} \frac {\theta_2^y}{y!} \sum {k = 0}{min(x,y)} \left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ k \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} y \\ k \end{array} \right) k! \left( \frac{\theta_3}{\theta_1 \theta_2} \right)^k

Marginally, we get :
X \sim POI (\theta_1+\theta_3)
Y \sim POI (\theta_2+\theta_3)
\theta_1, \theta_2, \theta_3 ≥ 0
Then, the cov(X,Y) = \theta_3

That's all information I have, but I have no idea how to get \theta_3 as the covariance of (X,Y). Please share anything you know about the way to get that value !
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is screwed up.

I'm sorry, I'm a very new member here so I still confuse how to make equation correctly, I think it's just like writing equation in LaTEX..
anyway, thanks for your reply.. I'll try to rewrite it correctly

Let Xi ~ Poisson (θi) , i = 1,2,3
consider
X = X1 + X3
Y = X2 + X3

this two random variables X and Y follow the bivariate poisson distribution so that
X ~ Poisson (θ1 + θ3)
Y ~ Poisson (θ2 + θ3)

and then the covariance of the bivariate poisson distribution is
Cov(X,Y) = θ3

I just don't know how to get θ3 as the covariance of this distribution.. please share me the way to get that Cov(X,Y) = θ3
Thanks

I am not familiar with your notation. However, assuming Xi are independent, then the covariance between X and Y involves only X3.

Oh, I am sorry.. maybe it's because the notations we usually used are different..

Oke, I get it.. but I am confused how to explain it in mathematics equation
Like we know,
Cov(XY) = Cov(X1+X3,X2+X3)
then, how must I explain about the assumption of independency between X1 and X2 in mathematics form?

Oh, I get it..

Correct me if I'm wrong

Cov(X,Y) = Cov(X1+X3,X2+X3)
= Cov(X1,X2+X3) + Cov(X3,X2+X3)
= Cov(X1,X2) + Cov(X1,X3) + Cov(X3,X2) + Cov(X3,X3)

but because there's assumption that Xi independent, so
Cov(X1,X2) = 0
Cov(X1,X3) = 0
Cov(X3,X2) = 0

and then I get

Cov(X,Y) = Cov(X3,X3)
= Var(X3)
= θ3

Am I wrong?

Your derivation is absolutely correct!

wow, okay.. thanks a lot for your help..
:) :) :)

Related to How to Get Covariance of Bivariate Poisson Distribution

What is the formula for calculating covariance of bivariate Poisson distribution?

The formula for calculating covariance of bivariate Poisson distribution is:
cov(X,Y) = λXλY + λXλYρ - λXλY
where λX and λY are the means of X and Y respectively, and ρ is the correlation coefficient between X and Y.

What is the relationship between bivariate Poisson distribution and covariance?

Bivariate Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that describes the joint occurrence of two Poisson random variables. Covariance is a measure of the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables. In the context of bivariate Poisson distribution, covariance measures the degree to which the two variables vary together.

How can I interpret the value of covariance in bivariate Poisson distribution?

The value of covariance in bivariate Poisson distribution can range from negative infinity to positive infinity. A positive covariance indicates that the two variables have a positive linear relationship, meaning that when one variable increases, the other tends to increase as well. A negative covariance indicates a negative linear relationship, where when one variable increases, the other tends to decrease. A covariance of zero indicates no linear relationship between the two variables.

What is the significance of covariance in bivariate Poisson distribution?

Covariance in bivariate Poisson distribution is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between two variables and how they vary together. It is a useful tool in statistical analysis, particularly in identifying patterns and trends in data. It can also be used to calculate other important measures, such as correlation coefficient and coefficient of determination.

Are there any limitations to using covariance in bivariate Poisson distribution?

Yes, there are some limitations to using covariance in bivariate Poisson distribution. Firstly, covariance does not indicate the strength of the relationship between the two variables, only the direction. Additionally, covariance can be influenced by the scale of the variables, making it difficult to compare covariances between different datasets. Therefore, it is important to consider other measures, such as correlation coefficient, in conjunction with covariance for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between variables.