How to get Peierls substitution in edge state?

In summary, the authors of paper PRL 101, 246807 (2008) discuss the use of "Peierls substitution" in coupling a tight binding Hamiltonian to an external magnetic field within the lattice approximation. This substitution replaces the eigenvalue of momentum k_y with the momentum operator -i∂y. However, this substitution may be more accurately described as a lattice to continuum model substitution. To solve this model, one can take the momentum space Hamiltonian and perform a partial Fourier transform along the y direction, resulting in a Hamiltonian that is PBC in the x direction but a lattice model in the y direction.
haw
In paper PRL 101, 246807 (2008), authors use "Peierls substitution", that is ky -> -i y. As we know, ky is eigenvalue of translation operator in period potential, while -i y is momentum operator, it seems they are huge different. So I wonder how to get ""Peierls substitution" in strict math way?

Physics news on Phys.org
haw said:
In paper PRL 101, 246807 (2008), authors use "Peierls substitution", that is ky -> -i y. As we know, ky is eigenvalue of translation operator in period potential, while -i y is momentum operator, it seems they are huge different. So I wonder how to get ""Peierls substitution" in strict math way?

No, [itex]k_y[/itex] is the eigenvalue of momentum [itex]p_y = -i \partial_y[/itex].

The translation operator in the y direction is given by [itex]T_y(a) = e^{-i p_y a}[/itex].

Peierls substitution is a way to couple a tight binding Hamiltonian to a external magnetic field within the lattice approximation. I see what you are referring to in the paper; they say that they use that substitution to say [itex] k_y \rightarrow \partial_y[/itex]. I think they might be misusing the term; When they move from PBC's to finite BC's along the y direction, [itex] k_y[/itex] is no longer a good quantum number. And in moving from a lattice model with momentum [itex] k_y[/itex] to a continuum model with crystal momentum [itex]\hbar k [/itex] they make the substitution [itex] k_y \rightarrow \hbar k_y[/itex] or [itex]\partial_y [/itex]. I'm not sure why they call it a Peierls substitution, it looks more like a substitution like lattice to continuum model. Here is a nice forum post about the math behind the Peierls substitution: https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/178003/tight-binding-model-in-a-magnetic-field

I've actually solved this model before, and the way to do it is to take the momentum space Hamiltonian and do a partial Fourier transform along the y direction, so that in the final product you have a Hamiltonian that is PBC in the x direction but lattice model in the y direction.

Likes MisterX
Thanks for your help! Actually helpful.

1. How does the Peierls substitution affect the edge state in a material?

The Peierls substitution is a mathematical technique used to study the behavior of electrons in solids. It introduces a periodic lattice distortion, which can cause a gap to form in the edge state of a material.

2. What is the significance of the Peierls substitution in edge state physics?

The Peierls substitution is important in understanding the properties of materials with one-dimensional electronic systems, such as graphene or carbon nanotubes. It allows us to study the effects of electron-electron interactions and lattice distortions on the edge state of these materials.

3. How is the Peierls substitution applied in edge state calculations?

In edge state calculations, the Peierls substitution is used to modify the Hamiltonian of the system by adding a potential term that accounts for the lattice distortion. This allows us to study the behavior of electrons in the presence of this distortion and its effects on the edge state.

4. Can the Peierls substitution be used in other types of materials?

Yes, the Peierls substitution can be applied to other types of materials, such as metals or insulators. It is a general technique for studying the effects of lattice distortions on electronic systems and can be adapted to different types of materials.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Peierls substitution in edge state studies?

One limitation of the Peierls substitution is that it assumes a perfect one-dimensional system, which may not accurately represent real materials. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of disorder or impurities on the edge state. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations when using the Peierls substitution in edge state studies.