How to get someone off your mind

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to get someone off your mind. The suggestions include finding something else to focus on, dealing with the thoughts, and finding someone else to fall in love with. The conversation also mentions different reasons for thinking about someone and suggests random acts of kindness as a way to cope with the pain.
cragar
How do you get someone off your mind, I mean I try not to think about this person but they still come up in my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
If consciously you try then you'll fail. You need to find something else like read a good book or become more task oriented and focus on the things that need to be done now like studying for your next quiz or test.

cragar said:
How do you get someone off your mind, I mean I try not to think about this person but they still come up in my mind.

If this has something to do with love, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it. You'll unfortunately have to deal with it.

I have the same problem, a year on I still think about him everyday. I'm hoping time is the answer.

Vahsek said:
If this has something to do with love, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it. You'll unfortunately have to deal with it.

How about finding someone else to fall in love with?:biggrin:

Lisa! said:
How about finding someone else to fall in love with?:biggrin:

game_theory.png

https://xkcd.com/601/
(:devil:)

You didn't say what's behind it.
If it's guilt , you have to make things right.
If it's anger, you have to forgive.
If it's lost love, you just have to go through the pain and wish them well.
If it's none of above, take in a movie.

Random acts of kindness are good medicine for a hurting soul.

Likes viswa, lisab and drizzle
Lol jim! Best advice. :)

1. How can I stop thinking about someone?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for getting someone off your mind, but some strategies that may help include distracting yourself with activities, practicing mindfulness and focusing on the present moment, and talking to a trusted friend or therapist about your feelings.

2. Why is it so hard to get someone off my mind?

Emotions, memories, and thoughts are all interconnected, so it can be difficult to let go of someone who has impacted you deeply. Additionally, our brains are wired to seek out social connections, so it's natural to think about someone we care about.

3. How long does it take to get someone off your mind?

There is no set timeline for moving on from someone, as it depends on the individual and the nature of the relationship. It's important to be patient and kind to yourself as you work through your feelings and try to move on.

4. Can getting someone off your mind be harmful?

If you are constantly ruminating on thoughts of someone and it interferes with your daily life and relationships, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist. However, it's normal to think about someone we care about from time to time.

5. How can I prevent myself from contacting or reaching out to someone I'm trying to get off my mind?

Setting boundaries and limiting your exposure to triggers, such as avoiding social media or places you know the person may be, can help reduce the urge to contact them. It can also be helpful to have a support system in place to talk to when you feel the urge to reach out.