How to get the typical value or typical data from the dataset

• B
  • Thread starter Pengtaofu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Value
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "typical value" and how it is applied in statistics. The conversation mentions different measures of central tendency, such as mean, median, and mode, and how they are used to determine the typical value in a dataset. It also discusses how the choice of typical value can be subjective and influenced by tradition. The conversation also touches on the use of χ^2 value and the importance of considering statistical error when comparing theoretical and measured values. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity of applying statistics and the lack of a universally agreed upon definition of "typical value."
Pengtaofu
TL;DR Summary
get the typical data from database
I make a theoretical calculation and then compare the calculation result and the median of the corresonding measured dateset. The difference between them is very slight, so I state that the theoretical model is right and good. However one expert has suspended whether the median is typical value. Could anyone help to explain how to get the typical value in the experiment dataset.
Measures of central tendancy, e.g. median, mean and mode, have been introduced in a lot of statistical books, however these books seldom include the defination of the typical value or introduce the method to get the typical value in dataset. It could be found that median, mean and mode of the dataset is the typical value in some web(http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/stats/descriptive2.html). I don't know whether the typical value is one common expression or scietifical term. Could anyone help how to get the typical value or choose the typical data from the known dateset. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is an agreed upon definition of the "typical value". In your dataset, how different are the mean, mode, and median? Another thing you could look at is the χ^2 value. This will depend on the difference between the theoretical model and the measured value, but also on the error in the measured value. How does the difference between the theoretical and measured values compare to the statistical error in the measured value?

Likes Pengtaofu and Stephen Tashi
Pengtaofu said:
I don't know whether the typical value is one common expression or scietifical term.
"Typical value" is not a scientific term (in English).

Could anyone help how to get the typical value or choose the typical data from the known dateset. Thank you very much.
Applying statistics is a subjective matter, often influenced by traditions. Look at published articles in your field of study and see what methods have been accepted by the editors of journals.

It is possible to formulate the problem of choosing the "most typical" value as a specific mathematical problem. This can be done in various ways. The procedure requires a sophisticated understanding of mathematical statistics. It also requires many specific assumptions. Which assumptions should be made? - that is also a subjective decision.

Likes Pengtaofu
"Measures of central tendency, e.g. median, mean and mode"

No, that is not what a "measure of central tendency" means. Central tendency is detected by e.g. the standard deviation σ: the larger σ is, the less central tendency the distribution has.

"one expert has suspended whether the median is typical value."

Huh? This is not the normal use of the word "suspended". It's not clear what this means.

Mean, and median are both measures of "middle" of a distribution. But there are a number of possible means that could be used. Usually it's the arithmetic mean. If all data is positive, it is sometimes more useful to use the geometric mean (the nth root of the product of the n data values).

The mode is the data value that is the most common. Or in the case of a distribution, it's the value with the largest probability. (Or for a continuous distribution, the value with the largest probability density.) But depending on the distribution, it need not be at all "typical".

zinq said:
"Measures of central tendency, e.g. median, mean and mode"

No, that is not what a "measure of central tendency" means. Central tendency is detected by e.g. the standard deviation σ: the larger σ is, the less central tendency the distribution has.

"one expert has suspended whether the median is typical value."

Huh? This is not the normal use of the word "suspended". It's not clear what this means.

Mean, and median are both measures of "middle" of a distribution. But there are a number of possible means that could be used. Usually it's the arithmetic mean. If all data is positive, it is sometimes more useful to use the geometric mean (the nth root of the product of the n data values).

The mode is the data value that is the most common. Or in the case of a distribution, it's the value with the largest probability. (Or for a continuous distribution, the value with the largest probability density.) But depending on the distribution, it need not be at all "typical".
Thank you for explanation and remind of the word "suspended". I acknownledge that use of "suspended" is not right. It should be replaced by ask, i.e. "one expert has asked whether the median is typical value."

Stephen Tashi said:
"Typical value" is not a scientific term (in English).Applying statistics is a subjective matter, often influenced by traditions. Look at published articles in your field of study and see what methods have been accepted by the editors of journals.

It is possible to formulate the problem of choosing the "most typical" value as a specific mathematical problem. This can be done in various ways. The procedure requires a sophisticated understanding of mathematical statistics. It also requires many specific assumptions. Which assumptions should be made? - that is also a subjective decision.
Thank you for explanation. When I studied the statistics course at uinivesity many years ago, I thought statistics is one subject of scietific. However, I have recently realized the there are a lot of subjective factors to affect the results in statistics.

phyzguy said:
I don't think there is an agreed upon definition of the "typical value".
Thank you very much for your explanation. Do you known whether the "typical data" isn't also agreed upon definition in statistics.
phyzguy said:
In your dataset, how different are the mean, mode, and median? Another thing you could look at is the χ^2 value. This will depend on the difference between the theoretical model and the measured value, but also on the error in the measured value. How does the difference between the theoretical and measured values compare to the statistical error in the measured value?
I have checked that the mean and median approximate in the dataset. But it is found that the some theoretical results has been out of the range [median - std, median + std]. I think the mesured values have been affected by other factors and I need to make more explanation in physics mechanism.

1. What is the typical value or typical data from a dataset?

The typical value or typical data from a dataset is also known as the central tendency or central value. It is a single value that represents the entire dataset and gives an idea of where most of the data points lie.

2. How do you calculate the typical value or typical data from a dataset?

The most commonly used measures of central tendency are mean, median, and mode. Mean is calculated by adding all the data points and dividing by the number of data points. Median is the middle value when the data is arranged in ascending or descending order. Mode is the most frequently occurring value in the dataset.

3. Why is it important to find the typical value or typical data from a dataset?

Finding the typical value or typical data from a dataset is important because it gives a general idea of the dataset and helps in understanding the distribution of data. It also allows for comparison between different datasets and helps in making predictions.

4. Can the typical value or typical data be affected by outliers?

Yes, the typical value or typical data can be affected by outliers. Outliers are data points that are significantly different from the rest of the data and can skew the results of the measures of central tendency. It is important to identify and handle outliers appropriately to get an accurate representation of the dataset.

5. Is the typical value or typical data always the best representation of a dataset?

No, the typical value or typical data may not always be the best representation of a dataset. It is important to consider the distribution and variability of the data in addition to the measures of central tendency to get a complete understanding of the dataset. It is also recommended to use multiple measures of central tendency to get a more robust representation of the data.