How to Graph a Periodic Function with a Period of 2π?

In summary, the function f(x) is periodic with period 2π and is defined by -cos(x) when -π<x<0 and cos(x) when 0<x<π. When graphing f(x) from -3π to 3π, it should be noted that since f(x) is periodic, it will also be periodic from π to 3π. This means that the graph from π to 3π will look the same as the graph from -π to π. This can be checked by choosing different values of x and comparing the results to the graph.
bubokribuck
The function f(x) is periodic with period 2[itex]\pi[/itex] and is defined by
f(x) = -cos(x) when -[itex]\pi[/itex]<x<0
= cos(x) when 0<x<[itex]\pi[/itex]

Sketch f from x=-3[itex]\pi[/itex] to 3[itex]\pi[/itex].

My question is, when -[itex]\pi[/itex]<x<0 and 0<x<[itex]\pi[/itex], how am I supposed to graph the function from -3[itex]\pi[/itex] to 3[itex]\pi[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember what was said in the beginning:
"The function f(x) is periodic with period 2π..." (emphasis mine)
You are shown how to graph f(x) from -π to π. Since f(x) is periodic, how would the graph of f(x) from π to 3π would look?

I have managed to come up with something (very roughly) like this:

k0h5op.jpg

Is this how it should be done?

bubokribuck said:
I have managed to come up with something (very roughly) like this:

k0h5op.jpg

Is this how it should be done?

Yes, it is correct.

ehild

Not sure if I've done something wrong. The question states that "The function f(x) is periodic with period 2π", but at the moment my graph looks like it's only with period 1π.

If something is periodic with pi, it is also periodic with 2pi.:smile:

Check. Choose an x and see if you get the same f(x) as in the graph.

x=-pi/3 for example. f(-pi/3)=-cos(pi/3)=-1/2. If x=-2pi/3, cos(2pi/3)=-0.5, f(-2pi/3)=-cos(2pi/3)=0.5.

ehild

Related to How to Graph a Periodic Function with a Period of 2π?

1. How do I find the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To determine the domain, look for any restrictions on the input variable in the function. To find the range, observe the output values as the input varies over the domain.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a quadratic function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change, meaning that the graph is a straight line. A quadratic function, on the other hand, has a variable rate of change, resulting in a curved graph. Additionally, quadratic functions have a squared term, while linear functions do not.

3. How do I determine the x- and y-intercepts of a function?

The x-intercept is the point where the graph of a function crosses the x-axis, and the y-intercept is where it crosses the y-axis. To find the x-intercept, set the y-value to 0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set the x-value to 0 and solve for y.

4. What is the process for graphing a function?

To graph a function, start by plotting the x- and y-intercepts. Then, choose additional points to plot by plugging in different values for x and calculating the corresponding y-values. Finally, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph.

5. How do I determine if a function is even, odd, or neither?

A function is even if it is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that f(x) = f(-x). A function is odd if it is symmetric about the origin, meaning that f(-x) = -f(x). If a function does not satisfy either of these conditions, it is neither even nor odd.