How to Harness braking energy from an electric motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a controller fed 3 phase 1kw servomotor to move a mass on a ramp for 1 second while energized, then ramp down for 1 second. The poster is seeking advice on how to harness the braking energy and feed it back to the motor to offset the input power used. They are also asking for suggestions on electronic circuit designs or pre-assembled devices that could achieve this. The conversation concludes by mentioning the potential use of regenerative braking and suggests contacting the manufacturer for further assistance.
Fizzics
I have a controller fed 3 phase 1kw servomotor which moves a mass over 1 metre ramping up for 1 second whilst energised, then it ramps down for 1 second.
The motor is on (energised) for 1 second then it is off (braking) for 1 second which completes the first cycle, the cycle is then repeated continuously.
However I would like to harness the 'braking energy' created whilst in the off part of the cycle and then feed it back to the motor to offset the input power used.
Could anyone tell me what electronic circuit design would be to make this happen, I assume it would be a capacitor circuit and some sort of solid state relay that kicks in when the input power stops.
Or otherwise maybe point me towards a pre-assembled device that is ready made and that I could buy off the shelf.
Thank you for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This posting seems to be related to your previous ones about servo motors .

We don't really have enough information to answer your questions properly . Please tell us more about what you are trying to do overall .

Fizzics said:
I have a controller fed 3 phase 1kw servomotor
A description of the "controller" and what you mean by "3 phase servo motor" is needed before the question can be answered.

The 'magic words' here are "regenerative braking." A place to start is contact the manufacturer of the controller you are using and ask if they have a controller version that has regenerative braking. If they don't have one, ask if they can suggest a source for one.

1. How does regenerative braking work?

Regenerative braking is a process in which the electric motor of a vehicle is used as a generator to convert kinetic energy into electrical energy. This energy is then stored in a battery for later use.

2. What are the benefits of using regenerative braking?

Regenerative braking can help increase the efficiency of electric vehicles by reducing the amount of energy needed from the battery. It also reduces wear and tear on the brakes, resulting in lower maintenance costs.

3. Can regenerative braking be used in all types of electric motors?

Yes, regenerative braking can be used in all types of electric motors, including AC and DC motors. However, the design and implementation may vary depending on the type of motor.

4. How much energy can be harnessed through regenerative braking?

The amount of energy that can be harnessed through regenerative braking varies depending on factors such as the speed of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, and the efficiency of the motor. On average, regenerative braking can recover 70-80% of the energy that would have been lost through traditional braking methods.

5. Are there any limitations to regenerative braking?

One limitation of regenerative braking is that it is most effective at lower speeds. At higher speeds, the amount of energy that can be recovered decreases. Additionally, regenerative braking may not work in emergency braking situations, as traditional friction brakes may need to be used to stop the vehicle quickly.