How to hide from the electromagnetic spectrum/electrical pol

In summary, a shielded container will protect an individual from low frequency electromagnetic radiation and acoustic noise. It is best to spend money on a thick metal container, as even a small crack or gap can let in a great deal of EM radiation. Doors are very difficult to shield, as even a small crack or gap between the door and the door frame, or even dirt buildup between them, will let in a great deal of EM radiation.
sbratva
Hello.
I need help!
is it possible to create a box/cage (ive seen the faraday cage etc) to give one 100% protection from all/some the electromagnetic spectrums - and from electrical pollution?
"Nothing enters and nothing leaves" style, so it but cut out all that comes outside of it, and blocks anything from inside of it to go out.
The important part is that it gives 100% protection from extremely low frequency radiowaves/and noise.

What materials would you use to such a box?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already mentioned a Faraday cage. That is it.

it does not protect from extremely low freq noise/sound, just to say ;)

It does protect from low freq EM waves, as you said "radio waves and noise". If you meant acoustic noise then you should have said so.

Soundproofing materials are also well known. You would need a Faraday shield for EM and soundproofing for acoustic shielding.

It's not possible to block 100% of all EM radiation from entering or leaving, but you can get as arbitrarily close as you like, it just gets progressively more difficult the more you want to block out. A sealed box made out of thick metal would probably be the ideal container. What are you trying to shield? Do you need to be able to enter/exit the container regularly? Doors are very difficult to shield, as even a small crack or gap between the door and the door frame, or even dirt buildup between them, will let a great deal of EM radiation in.

Drakkith said:
It's not possible to block 100% of all EM radiation from entering or leaving, but you can get as arbitrarily close as you like, it just gets progressively more difficult the more you want to block out. A sealed box made out of thick metal would probably be the ideal container. What are you trying to shield? Do you need to be able to enter/exit the container regularly? Doors are very difficult to shield, as even a small crack or gap between the door and the door frame, or even dirt buildup between them, will let a great deal of EM radiation in.

It all depends how much money you want to spend. A thick copper box with welded seams and absolutely no holes or gaps will do a pretty good job (>100dB suppression) But in the limit, if you want to get measurement data in or out of your box (and Power supplies) then that gives the EM waves a way in and out. Even an optical link requires a 'hole' somewhere. People spend tens of thousands of pounds on good screened rooms.

sophiecentaur said:
It all depends how much money you want to spend. A thick copper box with welded seams and absolutely no holes or gaps will do a pretty good job (>100dB suppression) But in the limit, if you want to get measurement data in or out of your box (and Power supplies) then that gives the EM waves a way in and out. Even an optical link requires a 'hole' somewhere. People spend tens of thousands of pounds on good screened rooms.

You should see the EMP shielded building my reserve unit works in... ;)

It is hard to shield static and slowly varying magnetic fields

If you want top performance get ready to spend real money but a tightly sealed metal trashcan can easily give 80 of effective shielding at most RF frequencies.

Equipment container:
tipsgraph.jpg

Shielded room:
il_series81_chart.gif

Most of the shielding is from steel/galvanized steel laminate with copper mainly for grounds and beryllium or phosphor bronze contact fingers for doors.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:

And by ''thick metal'' how thick and what metal? No i don't need to enter or exit, does this also give protection from microwave/or extremely low level of noise

sbratva said:
And by ''thick metal'' how thick and what metal? No i don't need to enter or exit, does this also give protection from microwave/or extremely low level of noise
The only way you can avoid some 'thing' entering or exiting is to have a battery operated device which records all its results in there. Any wires going in or out (or even holes for optical fibres) are potentially weak points in the screening.
Before you go any further with this, you need to specify what level of screening you actually need. Only then can you decide if it's feasible or affordable or even a trivial problem. This is an Engineering problem and the numbers count.
You might find the information in this link of interest.

Likes berkeman
sbratva said:

I can't tell you how thick since I don't know what you're actually trying to do. You can't block 100% of all electromagnetic interference, so you need to decide how much you want to block. Since I expect that you don't know how much you need to block, it would greatly help if you gave us the details on what you are trying to do.

1. How can I completely hide from the electromagnetic spectrum?

Hiding from the entire electromagnetic spectrum is not possible, as it encompasses a wide range of wavelengths and frequencies. However, you can reduce your exposure to certain types of electromagnetic radiation by limiting your use of electronic devices and keeping a safe distance from sources such as power lines and cell phone towers.

2. Can I use special clothing or materials to block electromagnetic waves?

Yes, certain materials such as metal foils, conductive fabrics, and carbon-based materials can block or absorb electromagnetic waves. However, these materials may not be practical for everyday use and may interfere with the functioning of electronic devices.

3. How can I protect myself from electrical pollution in my home?

To reduce your exposure to electrical pollution in your home, you can use shielded cables and cords for electronic devices, unplug devices when not in use, and limit the use of wireless devices. You can also consider using grounding techniques or installing filters on your electrical outlets.

4. Is it safe to live near power lines or cell phone towers?

The safety of living near power lines or cell phone towers is a controversial topic. Some studies have shown a potential link between long-term exposure to electromagnetic fields and certain health issues, while others have found no significant effects. It is best to limit your exposure to these sources when possible.

5. Can I use certain foods or supplements to protect myself from electromagnetic radiation?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that certain foods or supplements can protect you from electromagnetic radiation. Eating a balanced and healthy diet may help support your overall health, but it cannot shield you from electromagnetic waves.