How to Integrate -2x/ (1+x^2) Without a Prefix

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the integral of (-2x)/(1+x^2)^2 can be solved by using the substitution u=1+x^2 and then solving for dx in terms of du. The resulting integral is 1/(2u^2), and after plugging back in for u, it simplifies to 1/(1+x^2) + C.
sara_87

Homework Statement

how do i integrate:
(-2x)/(1+x^2)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the substitution u=1+x^2
then i got that the integral is
1/[2(1+x^2)^2 +C

but I'm not sure if that's correct

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
That substitution is a good idea, but it looks like you're making a mistake afterwards. Maybe if you post your working we'll be able to show you where you went wrong.

u=1+x^2
so dx=du/2x
so =integral(1/2u^2)du
=integral{1/[2(1+x^2)^2}
and now I am stuck because i realized where i went wrong
so how do i continue from here?

First the 2 in the denominator of dx= du/2x will cancel the 2 in the original integral: you should have "integral (-1/u^2)du.

(Some people find it easier not to solve for dx: du= 2x dx and you can substitute directly for the "2xdx" in the original integral. And don't forget the "-".)

More important, why in the world did you go back to the 1+ x2? Don't undo your substitution until after you have integrated!

Can you integrate [itex]\int (1/u^2) du[/itex]? (Hint: that's a power of u.)

the integral is 1/u so that's 1/(1+x^2)
is that the answer?

sara_87 said:
the integral is 1/u
Not quite,

[tex]\frac{d}{du}\left(\frac{1}{u}\right) = -\frac{1}{u^2} \neq \frac{1}{u^2}[/tex]

Hint,

[tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2} = \int u^{-2} du[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{-2x}{(1+x^2)^2}dx=\int\frac{-2x}{(1+x^2)^2}\frac{d(1+x^2)}{2x}=\int\frac{-1}{(1+x^2)^2}d(1+x^2)=-\frac{(1+x^2)^{-2+1}}{-2+1}+C=\frac{1}{1+x^2}+C[/tex]
where [tex]d(1+x^2)=2xdx[/tex]
[tex]dx=\frac{d(1+x^2)}{2x}[/tex]

no i don't have to integrate u^-2
i have to integrate -u^-2
which is 1/u ?

fermio said:
[tex]\int\frac{-2x}{(1+x^2)^2}dx=\int\frac{-2x}{(1+x^2)^2}\frac{d(1+x^2)}{2x}=\int\frac{-1}{(1+x^2)^2}d(1+x^2)=-\frac{(1+x^2)^{-2+1}}{-2+1}+C=\frac{1}{1+x^2}+C[/tex]
where [tex]d(1+x^2)=2xdx[/tex]
[tex]dx=\frac{d(1+x^2)}{2x}[/tex]

yes i thought that was right. thank you

sara_87 said:
no i don't have to integrate u^-2
i have to integrate -u^-2
which is 1/u ?
Ahh, my mistake, you are indeed correct. Sorry :redface:

Related to How to Integrate -2x/ (1+x^2) Without a Prefix

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the reverse process of differentiation, where we find the slope of a curve at a particular point. Integration is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How do you integrate a rational function like -2x/(1+x^2)?

To integrate a rational function, we use the method of partial fractions. First, we need to factor the denominator and write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. Then, we use a table of integrals or the method of substitution to solve each individual fraction. Finally, we combine the solutions to find the overall integral.

3. What is the general formula for integrating a rational function?

The general formula for integrating a rational function is: ∫(ax+b)/(cx+d) dx = (a/c) ln|cx+d| + (b-a*c)/c ∫dx. This formula is derived from the method of partial fractions and can be used to integrate any rational function.

4. What is the result of integrating -2x/(1+x^2)?

The result of integrating -2x/(1+x^2) is -ln|1+x^2| + C, where C is the constant of integration. This can be verified by using the general formula for integrating a rational function.

5. Can integration be used to find the exact value of -2x/(1+x^2)?

No, integration cannot be used to find the exact value of -2x/(1+x^2) because the result will always contain a constant of integration. However, we can use integration to find the indefinite integral, which represents a family of functions that includes all possible solutions to the given rational function.