How to know if a polynomial is odd or even?

In summary: Hence, 3(2k+1)^3 always returns an odd number. In summary, the polynomial 3(2k+1)^3 always returns an odd number because it is the product of three odd integers, and multiplying an odd integer by 3 results in an odd integer. This can also be proved by factoring out the 2 from the expression and showing that the remaining term is odd.
PhysicsBoyMan
3(2k+1)3

I have written a program which calculates the value of that polynomial with different values of k. The result is always an odd number. I am having a difficult time writing a proof that states that this polynomial always returns an odd number.

I know that (2k + 1) is the general form for odd numbers. My polynomial does have (2k+1) in it, but it is altered.

Here are two different polymorphs of the same polynomial. They are just simplified versions:

3(8k3 + 12k2 + 6k + 1)

24k3 + 36k2 + 18k + 3

How can I prove that this is always odd?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##3(2k+1)^3## has only odd factors. No ##2## in sight.

I have the answer. 3 times any odd makes an even, but the third power of that even is always odd.

PhysicsBoyMan said:
I have the answer. 3 times any odd makes an even, but the third power of that even is always odd.
3 times odd is still odd. Even numbers can be divided by 2, odd cannot.

How would you know if a difficult statement like 3(2k+1)3 can be divided by 2

PhysicsBoyMan said:
It can't. ##3(2k+1)^3 = 3 \cdot (2k+1) \cdot (2k+1) \cdot (2k+1)## and every one of them is odd. There cannot be a factor ##2##. ##2## is a prime so it must divide a factor if it would divide the product. This is not the case, as long as ##k## is a natural or integer number. Of course you get an even product if you allow, e.g. ##k=1.5##.

If you know that the general form of odd numbers is ##2 n + 1## then all you need to do is write ##24k^3 + 36k^2 + 18k + 3## in that form, i.e. find ##n##. All you need to do is write the 3 as ##2+1## then factor out the twos.

PhysicsBoyMan said:

pwsnafu said:
If you know that the general form of odd numbers is ##2 n + 1## then all you need to do is write ##24k^3 + 36k^2 + 18k + 3## in that form, i.e. find ##n##. All you need to do is write the 3 as ##2+1## then factor out the twos.
It's not necessary to multiply out the (2k + 1)3 factor.

Assuming that k takes on only integer values,
2k is always even, and 2k + 1 is odd.
(2k + 1)3 is the product of three odd integers, so is itself odd.
Muliplying an odd integer by 3 results in an odd integer, which by definition is not divisible by 2.
All of my statements here can be made rigorous with very little effort.

BTW, 3(2k+1)3 is an expression, not a statement. An expression has a value; a statement is either true or false. Equations and inequalities are examples of statements.

PhysicsBoyMan said:
3(2k+1)3

I have written a program which calculates the value of that polynomial with different values of k. The result is always an odd number. I am having a difficult time writing a proof that states that this polynomial always returns an odd number.

I know that (2k + 1) is the general form for odd numbers. My polynomial does have (2k+1) in it, but it is altered.

Here are two different polymorphs of the same polynomial. They are just simplified versions:

3(8k3 + 12k2 + 6k + 1)

24k3 + 36k2 + 18k + 3

How can I prove that this is always odd?

3(2k+1)^3
= 24k^3 + 36k^2 + 18k + 3
= 24k^3 + 36k^2 + 18k + 2 + 1
= 2*12k^3 + 2*18k^2 + 2*9k + 2*1 + 1
= 2(12k^3 + 18k^2 + 9k + 1) + 1

Then, 12k^3 + 18k^2 + 9k + 1 is a number that depends on the value of k (It doesn't matter whether this number is odd or even, since it is multiplied by 2, and 2*odd number = even number and 2*even number is even number). Now, let s = 12k^3 + 18k^2 + 9k + 1.

Therefor, we can write 2(12k^3 + 18k^2 + 9k + 1) + 1 as 2s + 1, which is the representation of an odd number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to know if a polynomial is odd or even?

1. How do I determine if a polynomial is odd or even?

To determine if a polynomial is odd or even, look at the highest power term in the polynomial. If the highest power term has an odd exponent, the polynomial is odd. If the highest power term has an even exponent, the polynomial is even.

2. Can a polynomial be both odd and even?

No, a polynomial can only be either odd or even, not both. This is because the terms with odd exponents and even exponents behave differently when the input value is positive or negative.

3. What is the significance of a polynomial being odd or even?

The odd or even nature of a polynomial can help determine its symmetry and make solving and graphing the polynomial easier. It can also provide information about the behavior of the polynomial at certain points.

4. How can I tell if a polynomial is odd or even without looking at the highest power term?

If a polynomial has only terms with even exponents or only terms with odd exponents, then it is even. If a polynomial has a combination of terms with even and odd exponents, then it is odd.

5. Can a polynomial have both odd and even terms?

Yes, a polynomial can have a combination of odd and even terms. In this case, the polynomial is considered to be neither odd nor even.