How to make a hardware setup for monitoring BER of modbus

In summary, the RTU protocol includes a checksum or CRC with each packet transmitted, and the length of the CRC is dependent on the number of bits in the average packet.
Nikhil N
I have to devices in communication with modbus protocol. Master is PC and slave is compressor(100ft line,RS485 standard, modbus RTU protocol). I have to build a setup which will show how much the error in communication. I am coupling some white noise to the line and some burst signals too. I could see error has happened in communication from communication log file which is getting from the Omnimbt software that I am using in master. But instead of this I need to get the BER(bit error rate) and show persons who will be monitoring the performance of modbus communication. Can anybody suggest some possible ways for doing this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know exactly what was transmitted and what was received, and if there was no error-correction, you can compare transmitted/received bit by bit.

Nikhil N said:
modbus RTU protocol
Jeeze, this is turning into a long project! :smile:

Does the RTU protocol include a checksum or CRC with each packet transmitted? How long of a checksum or CRC?

anorlunda said:
If you know exactly what was transmitted and what was received, and if there was no error-correction, you can compare transmitted/received bit by bit.
My doubt is how to determine the error, whether by comparing the signal with noise and without noise coupled as we can see in the noise analyzer(ref:figure below) or by determine in bit level comparison(BER)?
31174-3893607.jpg

berkeman said:
Jeeze, this is turning into a long project! :smile:

Does the RTU protocol include a checksum or CRC with each packet transmitted? How long of a checksum or CRC?
It has CRC with modbus signal

Nikhil N said:
It has CRC with modbus signal
How many bit CRC? If each packet has the CRC checked, look at the packet error rate and multiply by the number of bits in the average packet length.

Your test should also send numbered packets, so that any loss of a packet without a CRC error logged is seen also.

What is BER and why is it important to monitor in a Modbus hardware setup?

BER stands for Bit Error Rate and it is a measure of the rate at which errors occur in a communication system. In a Modbus hardware setup, monitoring BER is important because it allows us to identify and correct any errors that may occur during data transmission, ensuring reliable and accurate communication between devices.

What equipment is needed to set up a hardware system for monitoring BER of Modbus?

To set up a hardware system for monitoring BER of Modbus, you will need a Modbus communication device, a computer with a serial port or USB-to-serial converter, and a BER tester or analyzer. You may also need appropriate cables and connectors depending on the specific devices you are using.

How do I connect and configure the hardware for monitoring BER of Modbus?

The first step is to connect the Modbus device and the computer using the appropriate cables and connectors. Then, you will need to configure the BER tester or analyzer according to the specifications of your Modbus device. This may involve selecting the correct communication protocol, baud rate, and other settings. Consult the user manual of your specific devices for detailed instructions.

What is the process for monitoring BER in a Modbus hardware setup?

Once the hardware is connected and configured, you can begin monitoring BER by initiating data transmission between the Modbus device and the computer. The BER tester or analyzer will record any errors that occur during the transmission and provide a BER measurement. You may need to repeat this process multiple times to get an accurate average BER.

Are there any troubleshooting tips for setting up and monitoring BER in a Modbus hardware setup?

If you encounter issues during the setup or monitoring process, here are a few troubleshooting tips to try: 1) Check all connections and ensure they are secure. 2) Verify that the correct communication protocol and settings are selected on the devices. 3) Make sure the devices are powered on and functioning properly. 4) Use a different BER tester or analyzer to rule out any potential equipment malfunctions. If the issue persists, consult the user manuals or seek technical support from the manufacturers.