How to make most effective load support from piece of card?

In summary, the task is to create a beam using a single piece of card provided, which will then be subjected to a load test. The beam must be made solely from the card, without the use of tape or adhesives, and cannot be attached to the apparatus. The support load is 6mm apart. So far, the student has tried making the beam into fine zigzags to evenly distribute the weight, but is looking for other methods to improve its strength. The student is also considering different shapes for the beam and is unsure of how the strength will be tested.
mechanic_noob
Card provided one half of an a4 size (105mm x294mm)
The card is fashioned into a beam and will be subjected to a load test.

Rules
1. The card may only be folded to form a beam; you can cut it to suit your needs. It must NOT be rolled into a tube. Not permitted to use Glue, Adhesive tape, Staples or paper clips.
2. The beam must be produced entirely from the unadulterated single piece of card issued.
3. The beam cannot be attached to the apparatus. Must be placed on the rig prior to application of load.

Cannot combine to pieces of card

The support load is 6mm apart

Physics news on Phys.org
mechanic_noob said:
Card provided one half of an a4 size (105mm x294mm)
The card is fashioned into a beam and will be subjected to a load test.

Rules
1. The card may only be folded to form a beam; you can cut it to suit your needs. It must NOT be rolled into a tube. Not permitted to use Glue, Adhesive tape, Staples or paper clips.
2. The beam must be produced entirely from the unadulterated single piece of card issued.
3. The beam cannot be attached to the apparatus. Must be placed on the rig prior to application of load.

Cannot combine to pieces of card

The support load is 6mm apart

Welcome to the PF.

We cannot do your school project work for you. We can only ask questions and give hints.

What are your thoughts so far? What cross-sectional shapes make the strongest beams?

Since you cannot use any tape or adhesives to help your beam hold its shape, what are your thoughts for how to make it stay in the shape you fold it into?

Yh mate I tried making it into fine zigzags to evenly distribute the weight, it works but its not really the best method. Can you help me out?

mechanic_noob said:
Yh mate I tried making it into fine zigzags to evenly distribute the weight, it works but its not really the best method. Can you help me out?

What about my last question in my post?

Also, what other shapes can you think of that would make a strong beam?

Do you know how they will test the strength? What does the load look like?

To make the most effective load support from a piece of card, there are a few key factors to consider. First, the size and shape of the beam must be optimized for maximum strength. Second, the card must be folded in a way that distributes the load evenly and minimizes stress concentrations. Third, the beam must be placed on the rig in a way that allows for the most efficient transfer of load.

To start, it is important to carefully measure and cut the card to the exact dimensions provided (105mm x 294mm). Any deviation from these dimensions could result in a weaker beam. Once the card is cut, it should be folded in a way that creates a triangular or trapezoidal shape, as this will provide the most strength and stability. The folds should also be crisp and precise to prevent any weak points.

Next, the beam must be placed on the rig in a way that allows for the most efficient transfer of load. This means ensuring that the beam is centered and level on the rig, and that the load is applied directly to the center of the beam. Any misalignment or off-center loading could result in uneven stress distribution and weaken the beam.

It is also important to consider the spacing of the support load. The given distance of 6mm apart may seem small, but it is crucial to maintain this distance in order to evenly distribute the load and prevent any bending or buckling of the beam. If necessary, additional support can be added in the form of small folded triangles or tabs at the ends of the beam to further distribute the load.

Lastly, it is important to follow the rules provided and not use any additional materials or methods to enhance the beam's strength. This includes not combining multiple pieces of card or using any adhesives or fasteners. The beam must be produced entirely from the single piece of card provided.

In conclusion, to make the most effective load support from a piece of card, it is crucial to carefully measure and cut the card to the provided dimensions, fold it in a way that distributes the load evenly, and place it on the rig with the proper spacing and alignment. Following these guidelines will ensure the strongest and most effective load support from a single piece of card.

1. How do I determine the best size and shape for my load support made from a piece of card?

The best size and shape for your load support will depend on the specific weight and dimensions of the load you are trying to support. It is important to experiment with different sizes and shapes to find the most effective one for your particular load.

2. What is the maximum weight that a piece of card can support?

The maximum weight that a piece of card can support will vary depending on the strength and thickness of the card. It is important to use a strong and sturdy card, such as a corrugated cardboard, for heavier loads.

3. Do I need to reinforce the edges of the card for better load support?

Reinforcing the edges of the card can help to distribute the weight of the load more evenly and prevent the edges from bending or collapsing. However, it may not be necessary for lighter loads.

4. Can I use multiple layers of card for better load support?

Yes, using multiple layers of card can increase the overall strength and stability of the load support. However, it is important to make sure that the layers are secured together properly to avoid any shifting or slipping of the load.

5. Is there a specific technique for folding or shaping the card for optimal load support?

The technique for folding or shaping the card will depend on the specific load you are trying to support. In general, creating triangular supports or using a zigzag pattern can help to distribute the weight evenly and provide better support. It is important to experiment and find the most effective technique for your particular load.

Back