How to measure temperature distribution

In summary: I think that first of all you need to estimate the number of measuring points, the simplest solution would be to solder on a PCB all sensors in a row and then place the metall bar above the row. For contact sensors you can use thermo conductive paste. Anyway, the design doesn't need to be perfect, later if you detect some weak points you should discuss them in your report.Important: before doing or buying anything you should discuss the design of the experiment with you supervisor in order to estimate the effort and the time needed.i can't find the thermophil sensor, as you said before in my country. so, maybe i will try to use other temperature
Moezeus

Homework Statement

i want to measure temperature distribution of a heated cylinder. it become my final project, and now, i feel confuse, how to measure it. i think on put LM 35 DZ on every point at the cylinder, heat the cylinder, and read the output. but that should take a lot of cost, because the cylinder is big enough, and i need many LM 35 for that. is there any suggestion?

Homework Equations

you can suggest me any equation that relevant to temperature distribution, i have study about it on mathematical physics, but i still looking for my notes at my house

3. Attempt Solution
using LM 35 DZ is my solution for now, but is there any other solution?

--|> sorry if there any mistakes on my words

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can use non contact methods and then you only need to rotate the cilinder in front of the detector. Do you have to build also the electronic part?

yes, i need to build the electronic part myself (just if it possible). can you give me any example of non contact method?

thanks for reply

I found an IR sensor from Texas Instruments: http://www.ti.com/product/TMP006/technicaldocuments

Hello again!

Google "temperature distribution heat transfer cylinder" and you get plenty links with lots of equations.

Not clear what precisely you want to study: there's a good deal of symmetry in a cylinder, so you don't need to measure at every point.

For steady state situations you can make do with one sensor, moving it about. And then for time-dependent effects you make use of similarity or symmetry.

Good luck with the project !

soarce said:
I found an IR sensor from Texas Instruments: http://www.ti.com/product/TMP006/technicaldocuments
thanks for your suggestion. that would be my solution. and now i start to looking for that sensor in my country

BvU said:
Hello again!

Google "temperature distribution heat transfer cylinder" and you get plenty links with lots of equations.

Not clear what precisely you want to study: there's a good deal of symmetry in a cylinder, so you don't need to measure at every point.

For steady state situations you can make do with one sensor, moving it about. And then for time-dependent effects you make use of similarity or symmetry.

Good luck with the project !
Thanks sir. i have google it and found many relevant journal about my project, and i can start doing it from now

---|> Sorry if there any mistakes on my words, i try to make my english skill better

I think that first of all you need to estimate the number of measuring points, the simplest solution would be to solder on a PCB all sensors in a row and then place the metall bar above the row. For contact sensors you can use thermo conductive paste. Anyway, the design doesn't need to be perfect, later if you detect some weak points you should discuss them in your report.

Important: before doing or buying anything you should discuss the design of the experiment with you supervisor in order to estimate the effort and the time needed.

soarce said:
I think that first of all you need to estimate the number of measuring points, the simplest solution would be to solder on a PCB all sensors in a row and then place the metall bar above the row. For contact sensors you can use thermo conductive paste. Anyway, the design doesn't need to be perfect, later if you detect some weak points you should discuss them in your report.

Important: before doing or buying anything you should discuss the design of the experiment with you supervisor in order to estimate the effort and the time needed.

i can't find the thermophil sensor, as you said before in my country. so, maybe i will try to use other temperature sensors that avalaible here. i think to keep using LM 35, can i replace the thermo conductive paste with tooth paste? my friend told me to do that. My lecturer let me to borrow some sensor from the laboratory, so i don't need to worry about the cost, and he think i have enough time to get my project finished in this semester.

--|> sorry if there any mistakes on my words

Related to How to measure temperature distribution

1. How do you measure temperature distribution?

To measure temperature distribution, you can use instruments such as thermometers, infrared cameras, and temperature sensors. These instruments can provide accurate readings of temperature at different points within a space or object.

2. What is the most accurate method for measuring temperature distribution?

The most accurate method for measuring temperature distribution depends on the specific application and purpose of the measurement. In general, using multiple instruments and averaging the readings can provide a more accurate measurement compared to using a single instrument.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of temperature distribution measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of temperature distribution measurements. These include the type and calibration of the instrument, the location and placement of the instrument, the stability of the environment being measured, and any external factors that may influence the temperature, such as air flow or sunlight.

4. Can temperature distribution be measured in different units?

Yes, temperature distribution can be measured in different units such as Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin. It is important to ensure that the units are consistent when comparing temperature readings.

5. How can temperature distribution measurements be used in scientific research?

Temperature distribution measurements are used in various scientific research fields such as meteorology, climatology, materials science, and engineering. They can provide valuable information about the thermal properties of a system and how it responds to different conditions, allowing for a better understanding of natural processes and the development of new technologies.