How to measure the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor?

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for measuring the moment of inertia of a DC motor's rotor without a motoring dyno. Suggestions include using a string and weight, a physical pendulum, and fundamental vibration analysis. The equation for fundamental vibration analysis is also given. The conversation also touches on the concept of a collet and how it relates to the measurement.
bbq_build
Hello, I need to measure the moment of inertia of a DC motor's rotor. Any suggestion? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of relevant measurement tools do you have access to? Do you have a motoring dyno?

There is always this concept available as well

RogueOne said:
What kind of relevant measurement tools do you have access to? Do you have a motoring dyno?

There is always this concept available as well

Thanks. I don't have a motoring dyno. I am trying to measure the inertia at home without fancy equipment.

The only method I know of is described in Fig. 2.10.5 on 2-73.
https://www.elsevier.com/books/dc-motors-speed-controls-servo-systems/zhou/978-0-08-021714-7

Anybody knows what Collet is? Is it part of the rotor? From the description, it seems to be removable so that one could connect it to a rotor or a dummy to measure the spinning period. I cannot find a removable part from the rotor.

https://bbqbbq2bbq.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-fpFQz8H/A

Likes RogueOne
bbq_build said:
Thanks. I don't have a motoring dyno. I am trying to measure the inertia at home without fancy equipment.
I would be inclined to just use a string and a weight. Wrap the string around the shaft some number of times and use a stopwatch to measure how long it takes for the weight to fall through some distance. Use the diameter of the shaft and the mass of the weight in your calculations to get to the MOI. Sounds like a fun project... :smile:

berkeman said:
I would be inclined to just use a string and a weight. Wrap the string around the shaft some number of times and use a stopwatch to measure how long it takes for the weight to fall through some distance. Use the diameter of the shaft and the mass of the weight in your calculations to get to the MOI. Sounds like a fun project... :smile:

"to fall through some distance"? I think the book mentioned about spinning.

What should I do in regard to the "Collet"? I don't have it but the equation requires the MOI of the collet.

bbq_build said:
Anybody knows what Collet is?
Similiar to the Chuck on an electric drill; usually does not require a key to tighten.

There is a way you can measure MMoI of irregular geometry by attaching it to a spring (say a steel rod) about its centre and then measuring the period. From that you can find the Inertia using fundamental vibration analysis.

fN = 1/T = 1/(2*pi)* sqrt(k_theta/I)

Natural frequency or period, T, can be measured. K_theta of the steel connecting rod is GJ/L. Substitute into equation above and you will get an approximation of the Inertia.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Randy Beikmann
Sirsh said:
There is a way you can measure MMoI of irregular geometry by attaching it to a spring (say a steel rod) about its centre and then measuring the period. From that you can find the Inertia using fundamental vibration analysis.

Natural frequency or period, T, can be measured. K_theta of the steel connecting rod is GJ/L. Substitute into equation above and you will get an approximation of the Inertia.

I agree with Sirsh. Natural frequencies are little affected by typical amounts of friction, yielding smaller errors than measuring a steady acceleration.

I actually had to do this years ago. I hung a mass m from the rotor shaft by a light but stiff rod at distance L, making a physical pendulum. After deriving the equation for the natural frequency, then measuring it, I was able to back-calculate the unknown rotor inertia J.

Sirsh said:

Thanks. What is l, GJ and L? How do I find those values?

bbq_build said:
Thanks. What is l, GJ and L? How do I find those values?

I is the Inertia of the object in question i.e. Motor rotor. G is the shear modulus of the spring material, J is the polar moment of the spring - if it's a circular cross-section this would be (pi/32)*d^4, and L is the length of the spring.

1. How do I calculate the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor?

The moment of inertia of a motor's rotor can be calculated by using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the rotor and r is the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. This can also be calculated by using specialized equipment such as a torsion pendulum or a flywheel.

2. What is the significance of measuring the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor?

The moment of inertia of a motor's rotor is an important parameter in determining the motor's performance. It affects the motor's start-up and stopping time, as well as its overall stability and efficiency. Measuring the moment of inertia can also help in the design and optimization of the motor.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia are kilogram square meters (kgm^2) in the SI system of units. In the imperial system, it is expressed in pound square feet (lbft^2). It is also sometimes measured in terms of mass moment of inertia, which has units of kilogram square meters per second (kgm^2/s).

4. Can the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor can change depending on factors such as the distribution of mass, the speed of rotation, and the position of the axis of rotation. It can also be changed intentionally by adding or removing mass from the rotor.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when measuring the moment of inertia of a motor's rotor. This can include wearing protective gear, ensuring the equipment is stable and secure, and following the manufacturer's instructions carefully. It is also important to double check all measurements and calculations to ensure accuracy.