How to model light from a star?

In summary,The light emitted from a star is not a narrow parallel beam, it is radial. What is your reason for needing a model?How will you model the aperture of your observer?Are you modelling the light in free space, or light reaching the surface of the Earth?
Haorong Wu
I am aware that a laser could be modeled as a Gaussian beam, e.g., $$E=E_0\frac{w_0}{w_z}\exp (\frac {-r^2}{w^2_z}) \exp (-i(kz+k \frac {r^2}{2R(z)}-\psi(z))).$$

Now I want to study the propagation of light emitted from stars. But I am not sure how to model it, especially by some kind of functions.

I am particularly interested in the situation where the light has traveled a great deal of distance. Since it then can be treated as parallel beam, I argue that they can be model as a Gaussian beam with the waist radius equal to the radius of the star, given a certain frequency. Does this make sense?

What key words should I search in google scholar?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
The light emitted from a star is not a narrow parallel beam, it is radial.
What is your reason for needing a model?
How will you model the aperture of your observer?
Are you modelling the light in free space, or light reaching the surface of the Earth?

How about it ?
[tex]E^2_{av}=B^2_{av}=\frac{S}{8\pi R^2}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{R}=0,\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{R}=0 [/tex]
where ##\mathbf{R}## is vector from the star to the Earth.

Baluncore said:
The light emitted from a star is not a narrow parallel beam, it is radial.
What is your reason for needing a model?
How will you model the aperture of your observer?
Are you modelling the light in free space, or light reaching the surface of the Earth?
Thanks, @Baluncore .

Initially, it is radial. But I am taught that when solar light reach the Earth, it can be treated as parallel light. I am not sure is this argument correct.

I am studying the propagation of light near a black hole. Well, most of light comes from stars, so I would like to model it.

To be specific, I am using the covariant wave equation, from Spacetime and geometry, $$\square \psi=[g^{00} \partial^2_0+\frac 1 2 g^{00}g^{ij}(\partial_i g_{00})\partial_j+g^{ij}\partial_i\partial_j-g^{ij}\Gamma^k_{ij}\partial_k]\psi=0 $$ where ##\psi## describe the light. For a laser, ##\psi## can be the Gaussian beam.

The emitting and observation parts are out of my consideration.

Hi, @anuttarasammyak.

At first sight, those equations seem familiar. But I do not understand them. What ##av## stands for? Anyway, I could understand that the first equation means the energy carried by electric or magnetic field.

But I do not understand the second one. Why ##\mathbf E \times \mathbf r=0##? Should not ##\mathbf E## be perpendicular to ##\mathbf r##?

I meant av as time average but now I think it is unnecessary for incoherent light.
Electromagnetic wave is a transverse wave.

anuttarasammyak said:
I meant av as time average but now I think it is unnecessary for incoherent light.
Electromagnetic wave is a transverse wave.
But for a transverse wave, do you mean ##\mathbf E \cdot \mathbf r=0##?

Yea, I was wrong.

anuttarasammyak said:
where R is vector from the star to the Earth.

I made a rough definition "to the Earth" because vectors from the center of star to south pole and to north pole differ slightly. In good approximation you observe light from the stars are plane wave though they actually are sphere wave.

1. How do you determine the brightness of a star?

The brightness of a star is determined by its luminosity, which is the total amount of energy it emits per second. This can be calculated using the star's temperature and size, as well as its distance from Earth.

2. What factors affect the color of a star?

The color of a star is affected by its surface temperature, with hotter stars appearing bluer and cooler stars appearing redder. The star's composition can also play a role in its color, as different elements emit light at different wavelengths.

3. How do you create a model of a star's spectrum?

To create a model of a star's spectrum, scientists use spectroscopy, which involves splitting the star's light into its component wavelengths. This allows them to determine the elements present in the star's atmosphere and their relative abundance.

4. Can you model the light from a star accurately?

While models of stars can provide a good approximation of their light output, they are not always 100% accurate. This is because stars are complex and dynamic objects, and there are still many factors that scientists are working to understand and incorporate into their models.

5. How does a star's distance from Earth impact its perceived brightness?

A star's distance from Earth has a significant impact on its perceived brightness. The farther away a star is, the dimmer it will appear to us on Earth. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of light decreases as the distance from the source increases.