How to observe interference patterns with a simple experiment?

In summary: The double-slit experiment is a basic building block of interference experiments. By shining a laser through a tiny gap in two razor blades, you can see an interference pattern. You can also do this with a single blade by shining the light off of it. The patterns are harder to see if you don't use a laser pointer.
onqun
Hello guys, I need desperate help. I am googling an simple experiment that can observe interference patterns ? can someone help me out please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The double-slit experiment is the best known...and is the basic building block of interference experiments.

Hello, is it possible to observe that with a diffusion ?

I did this for fun in the fall. You need a visible laser, a couple of box cutter type razor blades and a dark room at least 10 feet long. (please please please be careful. I'm talking about razor blades in a dark room. The laser is less dangerous than the razor.)

Tape the two edges of the blades together so the sharp edges face each other with a very tiny gap, maybe 1/10th of a millimeter.

You shine the laser through the gap and you will get an interference pattern (vertical light and dark) areas on the wall. The smaller the gap in the blades, the wider the spacing in the pattern. You can also use a single blade edge but the patterns are harder to see.

Don't look into the beam and don't walk around in the dark holding the razor blades.

Here's a very easy method:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sci.physics/msg/a53fbd5a66f9ba15

Below is some pictures I have of doing it with a padlock. The shackles on the padlock work nicely if you want to do precise measurements because they come pre-aligned. But you can get it to work even with Coke cans.

The classic double-slit experiment is also easy. You can also see some impressive ring-shaped interference patterns by reflecting a laser pointer off a slightly dirty mirror.

The key component in these experiments is the laser pointer. (That and a dark room. Don't expect to be able to see much with the lights on.) Go out and buy one; they're cheap.

One easy one you can do without a laser pointer is single slit diffraction. Just make a thin gap between two fingers and look at a distant street light through them. The disadvantage there is that you might not understand what's going on unless you know how to calculate a single-slit diffraction pattern, which is a bit more complicated than the double-slit case.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 545
  • interference.jpg
    interference.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

Related to How to observe interference patterns with a simple experiment?

1. What is interference and why is it important to study?

Interference is a phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other and produce a new wave pattern. It is important to study because it helps us understand the behavior of waves and their interactions, which has practical applications in fields like optics, acoustics, and telecommunications.

2. What materials do I need to conduct a simple interference pattern experiment?

To observe interference patterns, you will need a light source (such as a laser pointer or a slit lamp), a screen or surface to project the light onto, and a barrier with two openings (such as a double slit or a diffraction grating). You may also need a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distances between the light source, screen, and barrier.

3. How do I set up the experiment to observe interference patterns?

Set up your light source and place it a few feet away from the screen. Place the barrier with two openings in front of the light source, making sure the openings are parallel to each other. Adjust the distance between the barrier and the screen until you see a clear interference pattern on the screen. You may need to adjust the size and position of the openings as well.

4. How can I ensure accurate results from my interference pattern experiment?

To ensure accurate results, make sure to keep all other sources of light and vibrations to a minimum. Use a stable surface for the experiment and avoid touching the setup once you have started the experiment. You can also repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results.

5. What can I learn from observing interference patterns with a simple experiment?

By observing interference patterns, you can learn about the properties of waves, such as wavelength and frequency, and how they interact with each other. You can also learn about the concept of superposition, where multiple waves combine to form a new wave, and how it relates to interference. Additionally, you can apply your knowledge of interference patterns in other scientific fields, such as astronomy and particle physics.