How to Prove tan3A + tan2A + tanA Equals tan3Atan2AtanA?

• Thread starter udaibothra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary, the conversation is about a trigonometry question that cannot be proven because it is not true. The person has made some progress but needs help with the right approach. They have also clarified that the problem may be to solve for a value of A, rather than proving an identity.
udaibothra
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing my math in advance so I came across a Trigonometry question I came across in my textbook. I did make some progress but I do not know how to go about it further.

Homework Statement

Prove that,

tan3A + tan2A + tanA = tan3Atan2AtanA

The Attempt at a Solution

I did simplify tan3A as- tan(2A+A) and then tried going about it. I just need someone to spur me on to the right approach and not provide the answer necessarily.

Physics news on Phys.org
udaibothra said:
Prove that,

tan3A + tan2A + tanA = tan3Atan2AtanA
But I can't...

...since it's generally not true!

The expansion of tan(A+B) is given by [tex]tan(A+B)=\frac{tanA+tanB}{1-tanAtanB}[/tex] but if you know the expansion of sin(A+B) and cos(A+B) then [tex]tan(A+B)=\frac{sin(A+B)}{cos(A+B)}[/tex]

As Mentallic says, you cannot "prove" this because it is not true. For a counter example, take practically any values for A, say "A= 1". Is it possible that the problem was not to "prove an identity" but to solve for a value of A that makes the equation true?

Thank You! Must have been a typing error in the book. Yes, I do know the expansion of tan(A + B) Thnks anyways. I'll re-check the question and get back to you.

Related to How to Prove tan3A + tan2A + tanA Equals tan3Atan2AtanA?

What is a tangent in math?

A tangent in math is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle. It is commonly used to find the slope of a curve or the angle of elevation or depression.

How do you solve a tangent math problem?

To solve a tangent math problem, you first need to identify the given information, such as the length of the opposite and adjacent sides or the angle measurement. Then, use the tangent formula (opposite/adjacent) to find the tangent ratio. Finally, use inverse trigonometric functions or a calculator to find the angle measurement or slope.

What are the different properties of tangent?

The main properties of tangent in math include periodicity, symmetry, and asymptotes. Periodicity means that the tangent function repeats itself after every 180 degrees or π radians. Symmetry refers to the fact that the tangent function is an odd function, which means that tan(-x) = -tan(x). Asymptotes are the lines that the graph of tangent approaches but never touches.

What are the common uses of tangent in real life?

Tangent is commonly used in real life to calculate the slope of a slope in architecture, engineering, and construction. It is also used in navigation and surveying to determine the angle of elevation or depression of an object. In physics, tangent is used to calculate the force of a moving object on an incline plane.

What are some tips for solving tangent math problems?

Some tips for solving tangent math problems include identifying the given information, understanding the properties of tangent, using the correct formula, and checking your answer using a calculator or inverse trigonometric functions. It is also important to pay attention to units and remember to use the appropriate units for your final answer.