How to prove that H_a and H_b are orthogonal?

It could be the orientations of ##H_a## and ##H_b## are completely arbitrary, in which case there is nothing to prove. If there is some other relationship between the two fields, then we need to know what that is in order to verify the proof.In summary, the problem asks to prove that H_a and H_b are orthonormal by showing that their dot product is equal to zero. The given hint suggests using vector identities, and the relevant equations include k_aH_a = \nabla \times E_a and k_bH_b = \nabla \times E_b, where k is the wave vector and E is the electric field. However, the problem does not specify any additional relationships between H
flux!
1. Okay, so I am going to prove that

[tex]\int H_a\cdot H_bdv=0[/tex]

Hint: Use vector Identities

H is the Magnetic Field and v is the volume.

Homework Equations

this this[/B]

[tex]k_bH_b=\nabla \times E_b[/tex]
[tex]k_aH_a=\nabla \times E_a[/tex]

k is the wave vector and E is the electric field

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known that H_a and H_b are really perpendicular to each other, so their dot product is just simple, zero. Well I am dead wrong! I got only 2 points out of 10, so its definitely not the solution for proving it.

Its now semester break, so I could not ask our professor the solution (no classes now), plus he is too busy. But I am still itching to find the correct solution for this. The hint tells to use vector identities, how could I figure It out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please write the complete description of the problem.

Also, please explain your "relevant equations". I don't know what you mean by ##E_a## and ##E_b##. If they are two different components of the electric field, then I can't make sense of the notation ##\nabla\times E_a##. If it's too much work to include a derivation of your relevant equations from Maxwell's equations, then you should at least tell us where you found them.

Complete Question:

Prove that H_a and H_b are orthonormal by showing

[tex]\int H_a \cdot H_b = 0[/tex]

Hint: You may use Vector Identities

---End of Complete Question that is all in there---

The equation:

[tex]k_aH_a = \nabla \times E_a[/tex]

were just another given equation, could be used or not (He always gives us tricky questions)

E_a and E_b were two different electric field that concurrently exist with H_a and H_b respectively.

You can at least say in which context this question was raised. Your last post didn't narrow down the infinite number of possibilities of how the two fields can be arbitrarily generated and oriented.

Do you have your own version by employing vector identities?

I still don't get it. The problem is asking you to prove a statement about two vector fields ##H_a## and ##H_b##, but it doesn't define ##H_a## and ##H_b##. So what definition of ##H_a## and ##H_b## are you supposed to use?

You said that ##k_aH_a=\nabla\times E_a## is just another equation that you may or may not need. So that's not the definition of ##H_a##, right? Because you absolutely have to use the definition of ##H_a##.

You said that ##k_a## and ##k_b## are vectors before. Have you changed your mind about that? How are you making sense of the product ##k_aH_a## if both factors are vectors?

Fredrik said:
You said that ##k_a## and ##k_b## are vectors before.
In most topics, it is usually meant to be the magnitude of the wavevector of a lightwave. Therefore those k's must be scalars. Anyway, the given information is indeed lacking in the additional relationship between ##H_a## and ##H_b##.

Related to How to prove that H_a and H_b are orthogonal?

1. What is the definition of orthogonal?

Orthogonal refers to two vectors or matrices that are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90 degree angle.

2. How do you prove that H_a and H_b are orthogonal?

To prove that H_a and H_b are orthogonal, you must show that their dot product is equal to zero. This means multiplying the corresponding elements of the vectors and adding them up, and if the result is zero, the vectors are orthogonal.

3. Can you provide an example of proving orthogonality?

Sure, let's say we have two vectors H_a = [1, 2, 3] and H_b = [4, 5, 6]. To prove their orthogonality, we multiply the corresponding elements: (1*4) + (2*5) + (3*6) = 4 + 10 + 18 = 32. Since the result is not equal to zero, we can conclude that H_a and H_b are not orthogonal.

4. What is the importance of proving orthogonality in science?

Proving orthogonality is important in science because it allows us to determine if two vectors or matrices are independent of each other. This is useful in many fields, such as physics and statistics, where independence between variables is necessary for accurate analysis and predictions.

5. Are there any other methods to prove orthogonality?

Yes, besides using the dot product, another method to prove orthogonality is by showing that the angle between the two vectors is equal to 90 degrees. This can be done using trigonometric functions and the vectors' magnitude and direction.