How to read research paper, textbook, long text content?

In summary, there are many resources available, including Udemy courses, to help simplify and improve the reading of large texts for university students.
shivajikobardan
I can read less text content easily. my way of reading it is to make slides of all those texts and learn from the slides.

But I have issue with reading huge huge texts as you know in this case it will require too much time when I do this. Is there way to simplify this reading style?

eg-: of sth that I want to read is this.https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/gfs-sosp2003.pdf

It takes me 45 minutes to read 3 paragraph and comprehend it at least.

If I go that way, you can imagine, how long it takes me to read a research paper. Probably a week to read a research paper lol. Even reading articles in internet is a hassle for me if they are longer. If I just read what I need to learn it is easy as it will be few paragraphs but if I have to learn sth else long it is pain to me as I can't do it timely manner.

Are there any udemy courses that teach how to read textbooks for university students that you are aware of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are several courses available on Udemy that can help university students to learn how to read textbooks more effectively. Courses like "Speed Reading for University Students" and "Strategies for Reading Textbooks Effectively" teach effective techniques for quickly understanding and retaining the information in a textbook. These courses focus on teaching students how to use their existing knowledge to understand new topics, how to actively engage with the material they are reading, and how to identify important concepts quickly.

1. How do I effectively skim a research paper or textbook?

To effectively skim a research paper or textbook, start by reading the abstract or summary to get a general understanding of the main points. Then, scan the headings, subheadings, and bolded words to get an idea of the structure and key topics. Next, read the introduction and conclusion to get a better understanding of the main argument or findings. Finally, read the first and last sentence of each paragraph to get a sense of the main ideas within the body of the text.

2. What is the best way to take notes while reading a research paper or textbook?

The best way to take notes while reading a research paper or textbook is to use a note-taking method that works for you, such as summarizing or outlining. Make sure to include the main points, key terms, and any important examples or evidence. It can also be helpful to write down any questions or thoughts you have while reading.

3. How can I stay focused while reading a long text?

To stay focused while reading a long text, try breaking it up into smaller sections and taking short breaks in between. It can also be helpful to find a quiet and comfortable reading environment, eliminate distractions, and set a timer for a specific amount of time to read. Additionally, actively engaging with the text by taking notes or asking questions can help maintain focus.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a concept or term while reading a research paper or textbook?

If you come across a concept or term that you don't understand while reading a research paper or textbook, try looking it up in a dictionary or online. You can also refer to other sources or ask a colleague or professor for clarification. It's important to fully understand all concepts and terms in order to fully comprehend the text.

5. How can I improve my comprehension of a research paper or textbook?

To improve your comprehension of a research paper or textbook, try actively engaging with the text by taking notes, summarizing key points, and asking questions. It can also be helpful to discuss the text with others and seek additional resources or explanations if needed. Additionally, taking breaks and reading in shorter sessions can help prevent information overload and improve overall understanding.