How to read this decay sheet (gamma emission after beta decay)

In summary, the conversation was about the decay scheme of ##^{112}Ag## and the detection of its gamma emissions. The speaker was wondering which gamma emission would give them an observable peak when measured with a scintillator. After discussing the possible energy levels and gammas, the expert summarizer found that the 617.517 keV gamma with an intensity of 42% was the one to look for, as indicated by the "major radiations" label when hovering over the nuclide.
dRic2
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I would be very grateful if someone could help me reading this decay scheme
I was looking at the decay scheme (https://www-nds.iaea.org/relnsd/vcharthtml/VChartHTML.html) of ##^{112}Ag## which ##\beta##-decays to ##^{112}Cd##. ##Cd## is most likely left in an excited states, so it decays to its ground state by ##\gamma##-emission. As you can see there are tons of possible energy levels, so there are tons of possible gammas. If I were to measure those gammas with a scintillator (with not very high energy resolution) which one would give me an observable peak ? I can't figure this out...

For example, take the first one (in the gamma-table): I have a gamme of energy ##120keV## emitted by the transition from the level with energy ##1433keV## to the on with energy ##1312keV##; it says ##I_{\gamma}(abs) = 0.076 \space 12## but what is it ? Would it be detectable ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It says 617.517 keV and 42% under "major radiations". That's what you should look for.

Likes dRic2
Vanadium 50 said:
It says 617.517 keV and 42% under "major radiations". That's what you should look for.
Sorry, but where did you find "major radiations"? Anyway, the 617.517 keV gamma is the one with the highest ##I(abs)## which is exactly 42. So I just have to look for the highest value of ##I(abs)## ? (I'm referring to this table)
Schermata 2020-08-31 alle 16.20.42.png

dRic2 said:
Sorry, but where did you find "major radiations"?

Hover over the nuclide.

Likes dRic2
Thank you

1. What is a decay sheet?

A decay sheet is a table that shows the different types of particles and energy emitted during radioactive decay, as well as the resulting decay products.

2. What is gamma emission after beta decay?

Gamma emission after beta decay is a type of radioactive decay where a beta particle (an electron or positron) is emitted from an atom's nucleus, followed by the emission of a gamma ray. This process results in the atom's nucleus becoming more stable.

3. How do I read a decay sheet?

To read a decay sheet, you will need to understand the symbols and information presented in the table. The top row usually lists the initial nucleus, while the left column lists the particles and energy emitted. The numbers in the table represent the number of particles or energy emitted during the decay process.

4. What are the different types of particles and energy listed on a decay sheet?

The different types of particles and energy listed on a decay sheet include alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, and neutrinos. Alpha particles are made up of two protons and two neutrons and have a positive charge. Beta particles can be either electrons or positrons and have a negative or positive charge, respectively. Gamma rays are high-energy photons and have no charge. Neutrinos are tiny, neutral particles that are emitted during some types of radioactive decay.

5. Why is it important to understand how to read a decay sheet?

Understanding how to read a decay sheet is important for scientists who study radioactive decay and its effects. It can provide valuable information about the types of particles and energy emitted during the decay process, as well as the resulting decay products. This information can help scientists better understand the properties of different elements and how they behave in different environments.