How to relate the expansion term to Feynman diagrams

In summary, the three figures in I.7.1 illustrate different representations of the term λ/4![(d/dJ)][/4] [1/4![2[m][/2]][/4]][J][/8] in the Feynman diagram and can aid in understanding the expression.
chern
I learn quantum field theory using the book of " quantum field theory in a nutshell" by A. Zee. But I am confuse when I read the content about the "baby problem" at the beginning of "1.7 Feynman Diagrams". In that section, author get the term of order λ and [J][/4] by -(λ/4!)[(d/dJ)][/4] [1/4![2[m][/2]][/4]][J][/8]. My question is how to draw the figures in I.7.1 according to the result? why are there three figures? There is only one term, why do we get three figures? Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
The three figures in I.7.1 represent the different ways in which the term λ/4![(d/dJ)][/4] [1/4![2[m][/2]][/4]][J][/8] can be represented as a Feynman diagram. The first figure shows the initial starting point of the diagram: the term λ/4!. The second figure shows the diagram after the action of the derivative (d/dJ). The third figure shows the diagram after the action of the factors 1/4![2[m][/2]][/4] and J/8. Each of these diagrams represents the same mathematical expression, but they may help to visualize it in different ways. For example, the third figure might make it easier to identify the number of factors in the expression, while the second figure might make it easier to understand how the derivative (d/dJ) acted on the expression.

1. How do I determine the expansion term in a Feynman diagram?

The expansion term in a Feynman diagram is determined by the number of vertices in the diagram. Each vertex represents a term in the expansion, so the number of vertices corresponds to the number of terms in the expansion.

2. What is the relation between the expansion term and the number of loops in a Feynman diagram?

The expansion term is directly related to the number of loops in a Feynman diagram. Each loop represents a factor of the expansion term, so the number of loops corresponds to the power of the expansion term.

3. Can the expansion term be negative in a Feynman diagram?

No, the expansion term in a Feynman diagram is always positive. This is because the term is determined by the number of vertices, which can only be positive integers. However, the overall result of the Feynman diagram calculation can be negative if there are cancellations between positive and negative terms.

4. How does the expansion term affect the accuracy of the Feynman diagram calculation?

The expansion term determines the order of the calculation and therefore affects the accuracy. Higher order terms in the expansion represent more complicated interactions between particles and can lead to a more accurate calculation.

5. Is there a limit to the number of expansion terms in a Feynman diagram?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of expansion terms in a Feynman diagram. However, as the number of terms increases, the calculation becomes more complex and difficult to perform. In practice, only a few terms are typically considered in a Feynman diagram calculation.