How to round in error analysis

In summary, when rounding to the correct answer, it is important to consider the precision of the error and round the answer to match this precision. In this case, the error is 0.74% of the calculated distance, resulting in a rounded answer of 1330 +/- 10 km. However, there may be flaws in the statistical approach to determining error and it may be more appropriate to adjust the error to account for non-normally distributed data.
Syed Qaiser
Hi, to start with my questions I will show you what I have done so far.

(23.56+/-0.05) km/h x (56.3+/-0.4) h

So I ended up with (1326.428+/-12.234) km
But I know the real answer is (1330+/-10) km
What I don't understand is how I would round to that answer. I do not know what I have to look for to see that I have to round it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Syed Qaiser said:
Hi, to start with my questions I will show you what I have done so far.

(23.56+/-0.05) km/h x (56.3+/-0.4) h

So I ended up with (1326.428+/-12.234) km
But I know the real answer is (1330+/-10) km
What I don't understand is how I would round to that answer. I do not know what I have to look for to see that I have to round it.

Basically, all of the extra digits in the error that you have are extraneous. The 0.234 past the decimal is essentially meaningless.

The error will be the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual relative errors.

speed: 0.2% error; time: 0.7% error ==> resultant error = sqrt (0.002^2 + 0.007^2) = 0.0074 --> 0.74%
distance = 1326.4 km (0.74% of this is the error) -- error = 9.8 km ==> which has been rounded to 10 (one sig fig)
So, the answer is 1330 +/- 10 km (you round the answer to have the same precision as the precision in the error)

Quantum Defect said:
The error will be the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual relative errors.
Not necessarily. [soap box alert]
To an engineer, the range of error in the answer is all values consistent with the given inputs. This makes Syed's original answer correct, except for some overstatement of precision. 1326.4+/-12.2 would be reasonable.
In scientific circles, it is customary to do as you say and take a more statistical approach. Sadly, there are serious flaws with the way that is usually done.
The basis of it is that the error range is interpreted as some (unstated) number of standard deviations of an approximately normal distribution. The calculation you mention then obtains the same number of standard deviations of the result. But in many, if not most, practical situations the original error is clearly not normally distributed. A classic example is rounding a reading to a number of digits. If my lab scales show a weight of 0.120N, in a digital display, that's a uniform distribution from 0.1195 to 0.1205. The range +/- 0.0005 then represents some calculable number of s.d. But after performing the calculation that combines this weight with other uniformly distributed data, the distribution is no longer uniform. Thus, it may be appropriate to adjust the computed error if the +/- expression of it is to have a consistent interpretation.
Quantum Defect said:
sqrt (0.002^2 + 0.007^2) = 0.0074

1. What is rounding in error analysis?

Rounding in error analysis refers to the process of approximating a calculated or measured value to a certain number of significant figures or decimal places. This is done to reduce the level of uncertainty in the final result and to make it more practical and easier to work with.

2. Why is rounding important in error analysis?

Rounding is important in error analysis because it helps to minimize the impact of uncertainties in the measured or calculated values on the final result. Without rounding, the final result may appear to be more precise than it actually is, leading to incorrect conclusions or decisions being made based on the data.

3. How do you determine the number of significant figures to round to?

The number of significant figures to round to is determined by the least precise measurement or value used in the calculation. For example, if one value has 3 significant figures and another has 4, the final answer should be rounded to 3 significant figures to maintain accuracy and consistency.

4. Can rounding affect the accuracy of the final result?

Yes, rounding can affect the accuracy of the final result if it is not done correctly. Rounding should be done in a way that maintains the same level of precision as the least precise value used in the calculation. Rounding too early or too often can lead to a loss of significant figures and decrease the accuracy of the final result.

5. Is there a specific rule for rounding in error analysis?

Yes, there are generally accepted rules for rounding in error analysis. These include rounding to the correct number of significant figures, rounding up if the digit to be dropped is 5 or greater, and rounding down if the digit to be dropped is less than 5. However, it is important to also consider the context and purpose of the analysis to determine the most appropriate rounding method.