How to show tanx is surjective?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surjective
In summary: In this case, you could use the intermediate value theorem to show that f is continuous at every point in the domain.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How can I show the function [itex]f:]-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[ \rightarrow R[/itex] defined by [itex]f(x)=tan(x)[/itex] is surjective?

If the domain was a closed interval I could use the intermediate value theorem, but now?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try working directly with the definition. Can you find a preimage for every object in the range of f?

The domain can't be the closed interval, so I don't see how that would help. tan(x) is not defined when x = [itex]\pi / 2[/itex]. Anyways, you know that it is continuous. You know that the limit as x approaches [itex]\pi /2[/itex] from the left is [itex]\infty[/itex] and by the definition of the limit, you can argue that "all the big numbers" are achieved by f. The definition of such a limit says that for any N, you can find a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that for all x in [itex](\pi /2 - \delta, \pi /2)[/itex], f(x) > N. Since you can choose any N, you can show that all the numbers greater than all N are achieved. Choose N to be something simple like 1. You can also show that the values 1 and -1 are achieved, and by intermediate value theorem, all numbers in (-1, 1) are thus achieved. Finally, the you know the limit as x approaches [itex]\pi /2[/itex] from the right and argue in a similar fashion that all numbers less than 1 are achieved. I'm not sure, but the last few steps might be superfluous. It might be sufficient to show that f is continuous and the left-hand limit as x approaches [itex]\pi / 2[/itex] is [itex]\infty[/itex]. I'm not sure. The above, I believe, is enough to prove it, if not too much.

Ah, right, I may have been answering the question at the wrong level.

One thing you might consider is that if a and b are in the domain of f, then the closed interval [a, b] is a subset of the domain of f.

If you're familiar with the extended real line, then you could extend f continuously to [-pi/2, pi/2] as a function whose range is the extended real line, rather than the reals.

Related to How to show tanx is surjective?

1. How do you define surjective?

Surjective, also known as onto, is a function that maps every element in the range to at least one element in the domain.

2. What is the basic approach to show tanx is surjective?

The basic approach to show tanx is surjective is by using the definition of surjective and proving that every element in the range of tanx has at least one pre-image in the domain.

3. Can you explain the concept of pre-image in relation to surjective functions?

In surjective functions, the pre-image refers to the elements in the domain that map to a specific element in the range. For every element in the range, there must be at least one pre-image in the domain.

4. What are some common methods used to prove surjectivity?

Some common methods used to prove surjectivity include direct proof, contradiction, and proof by construction. These methods involve showing that every element in the range has at least one pre-image in the domain.

5. Can you provide an example of showing tanx is surjective?

Yes, an example of showing tanx is surjective is by proving that for any real number y, there exists an angle x such that tanx = y. This can be done by taking the inverse tangent of y and showing that it is a valid solution for tanx = y.