How to Sketch the Function ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2)?

In summary, the function ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2), where k is a positive constant, has a domain of -k to k and its graph is the reciprocal of the graph of y = √(k2-x2), which can be sketched by labeling a point k on the positive side of the x axis and a point -k on the negative side, and drawing the graph connecting these points. The value of k can be any positive constant, and should not be assumed to be a specific value.
noahsdev

Homework Statement

Consider the function ƒ:-k,k→R, where ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2), where k is a positive constant.
(i) Sketch the graph of y = ƒ(x)
(ii) What is the domain of the function?

Homework Equations

ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how I am supposed to solve this. Couldn't k equal anything? Why couldn't it be 1 or 2? This makes no sense.
Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
noahsdev said:

Homework Statement

Consider the function ƒ:-k,k→R, where ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2), where k is a positive constant.
(i) Sketch the graph of y = ƒ(x)
(ii) What is the domain of the function?

Homework Equations

ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how I am supposed to solve this. Couldn't k equal anything? Why couldn't it be 1 or 2? This makes no sense.
k is an unspecified constant - a parameter. k could be 1 or 2, but you shouldn't assume that it is any specific value.

Can you sketch the graph of y = ##\sqrt{k^2 - x^2}##? If you can get this graph, then the graph of f is just the reciprocal.

noahsdev said:

Just draw an x axis, mark some point on the positive side, and label it k. Then draw your graph.

LCKurtz said:
Just draw an x axis, mark some point on the positive side, and label it k. Then draw your graph.
noahsdev, after you label some point k on the positive side, label another as -k on the negative side. Then draw your graph.

Related to How to Sketch the Function ƒ(x) = 1/√(k2-x2)?

1. What does "sketch this function" mean?

"Sketch this function" means to visually represent the given function on a graph or coordinate plane.

2. How do I sketch a function?

To sketch a function, you will need to plot points on a graph or coordinate plane based on the given input and output values. Then, connect the points to create a smooth curve that represents the function.

3. What is the purpose of sketching a function?

The purpose of sketching a function is to gain a better understanding of how the function behaves and to visualize its key characteristics such as domain, range, intercepts, and asymptotes.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to sketch a function?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to sketch a function. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the function and its key characteristics in order to accurately interpret the graph.

5. Are there any tips for sketching a function?

Yes, some tips for sketching a function include identifying the key characteristics of the function, such as the domain and range, using a sufficient number of points to plot on the graph, and checking for symmetry or any other special properties of the function.