How to solve a system with more unknowns than equations?

In summary, when reducing a system of equations to Row-Echelon form, it is possible to end up with a non-unique solution that depends on a free parameter. This can be seen in the example where the system was reduced to a triangular form, but still had infinitely many solutions. In order to solve for these solutions, one can substitute the free parameter into the system to find a set of solutions. This process can be done using LaTeX code and there are tutorials available for reference.
stonecoldgen
Because if you reduce to Row-Echelon form you don't end up with a triangulated form. Here is what I ended up with (How do I use Latex Reference to construct a Matrix? Can someone help me with that by the way please?)

1 -1 3 2 | 1
0 1 1 3 | -1
0 0 1 1 | -1

Physics news on Phys.org
stonecoldgen said:
Because if you reduce to Row-Echelon form you don't end up with a triangulated form. Here is what I ended up with (How do I use Latex Reference to construct a Matrix? Can someone help me with that by the way please?)

1 -1 3 2 | 1
0 1 1 3 | -1
0 0 1 1 | -1

Here is the LaTeX code:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc|c}
1 & -1 & 3 & 2 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 1 & 3 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & -1
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

See our LaTeX tutorial: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

Anyway, to the math. In cases like this, you will not get a unique solution, you will get infinitely many solutions which depend on a free parameter. Let's first transfrom the system back to the usual form:

[tex]\left\{
\begin{array}{l}
x - y + 3z + 2t = 1\\
y + z + 3t = -1\\
z + t = -1
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

The idea is to write all variables in function of ##t## (or ##x## or whatever, it doesn't matter which one). We can certainly write ##z## in function of ##t## as follows:

[tex]z = -1 - t[/tex]

Now, we know ##y + z + 3t = -1##, we can substitute the above version of ##z## into this equation and get

[tex]y + (-1 -t) + 3t = -1[/tex]

Thus we can write ##y## in function of ##t##:

[tex]y = -2t[/tex]

Finally, we can do the same for ##x##, we have the equation ##x - y + 3z + 2t = 1##. Substituting ##y## and ##z##, we get

[tex]x - (-2t) + 3(-1-t) + 2t = 1[/tex]

Solving for ##x## gives us

[tex]x = 4-t[/tex]

So we get the following solutions for the system:

[tex]x= 4-t,~y=-2t,~z=-1-t[/tex]

This means that for every real number ##t## that we take, we get a solution for our system. For example, taking ##t=0##, we get ##(x,y,z,t) = (4,0,-1,0)##. On the other hand, taking ##t=1##, we get ##(x,y,z,t) = (3,-2,0,1)## as a solution. So we see that we have infinitely many solutions, one for each ##t##.

Likes 1 person

Related to How to solve a system with more unknowns than equations?

1. How do I determine the number of unknowns and equations in a system?

The number of unknowns in a system is equal to the number of variables that are not known or given in the problem. The number of equations in a system is equal to the number of equations that are given in the problem. To determine the number of unknowns and equations, count the number of variables and equations listed in the problem.

2. Can a system with more unknowns than equations be solved?

Yes, it is possible to solve a system with more unknowns than equations. However, it may not have a unique solution. In other words, there may be multiple solutions that satisfy the given equations.

3. What methods can be used to solve a system with more unknowns than equations?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a system with more unknowns than equations, such as substitution, elimination, and matrix methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the system and the preference of the solver.

4. How can I check if my solution to a system with more unknowns than equations is correct?

To check if a solution to a system with more unknowns than equations is correct, plug the solution back into each equation and see if it satisfies all of them. If it does, then the solution is correct. If not, then the solution is incorrect and may need to be revised.

5. Is it necessary to have the same number of equations and unknowns to solve a system?

No, it is not necessary to have the same number of equations and unknowns to solve a system. However, it is important to have enough equations to create a unique solution. If there are more unknowns than equations, then the system may have multiple solutions or no solution at all.