How to solve for bending moment?

In summary, in order to determine the bending moment of your design airplane, you will need to calculate the total weight distribution and use basic engineering principles. It's also important to use appropriate materials and build in a safety margin. The breaking point of your wing spar will depend on the specific design and materials, but regular testing and inspection is recommended.
airstrike_ola
Hello, I'm a newbie here, please help me to solve for the bending moment of my design airplane. I want to know if my wing spar is strong enough to support the weight of my design which is 490 lb. I want also to know if what is the breaking point of the wing spar. Please see the attached picture.

Thank you...

Attachments

• My Design.bmp
    273.6 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
You can assuming that your beam is simply supported at the wing tips, with a point load at the center, and then just either simply compute the bending moments in your beam. The stress is then just
[tex]
\sigma = \frac{My}{I}
[/tex]

Or I'm sure a decent google result will give you the closed form solution given your geometry.

Hi there, welcome to the forum! It's great to see new members interested in designing and building airplanes. In order to determine the bending moment of your design, you will need to use some basic engineering principles and calculations. First, you will need to calculate the total weight distribution of your airplane, including the weight of the wing spar itself. Then, using the distance from the center of gravity to the wing spar, you can calculate the bending moment.

As for the strength of your wing spar, it's important to use the appropriate materials and dimensions to ensure it can support the weight of your design. You can consult with a structural engineer or use online resources to determine the maximum load your chosen materials can withstand. It's also a good idea to build in a safety margin to account for any unexpected stresses or impacts.

As for the breaking point, it's difficult to give a specific number without knowing the exact specifications of your design and materials. However, it's important to regularly test and inspect your wing spar during the building process to ensure it is strong and secure.

I hope this helps get you started in your calculations and design process. Good luck with your project! And don't hesitate to ask for further assistance or advice from the community here. We are all passionate about airplanes and happy to help.

Related to How to solve for bending moment?

1. What is bending moment?

Bending moment is a measure of the internal bending forces that a material experiences when subjected to an external load.

2. How do you calculate bending moment?

Bending moment can be calculated by multiplying the external force applied to a material by the distance from the point of application to the location of interest.

3. What are the units of bending moment?

Bending moment is typically measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

4. How does bending moment affect a material?

Bending moment causes tensile and compressive stresses within a material, which can lead to deformation or failure if the material's strength is exceeded.

5. How can I solve for bending moment in a complex structure?

To solve for bending moment in a complex structure, you can use equations of equilibrium and boundary conditions, or use numerical methods such as finite element analysis.