How to Solve Tan(x) = 3 Without Calculator: Trigonometry Question

• Thread starter Constantinos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, the conversation revolved around whether or not it was possible to solve for tan(x) = 3 without a calculator and the attempts made using the knowns of the problem. It was ultimately concluded that the solution given in the textbook was only an approximation and there was no clear way to solve the problem without a calculator.
Constantinos
This is no homework exercise, just plain curiosity for an exercise, so give it lower priority.

Homework Statement

Is it possible to solve tan(x) = 3 without the use of a calculator?

The knowns:
1) It originaly came from trying to solve 1/(cos^2) -2tan = 4.
1 = cos^2+sin^2 so this can be converted into tan^2 -2tan-3 = 0 which solves for
tan = -1(easy) and tan = 3(?)
If there is another way to solve without tan=3 then it would be ok, but still more interesting if tanx = 3 can be solved.
2) All sin,cos,tan,cot for angles 0,30,45,60,90 and multiples.
3) Trigonometric circle
All else has to be proved.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the trigonometric circle, but I couldn't find any useful relation. Tried squaring, nothing happens. Tried converting to sin and cos, nothing. I know the solution is 2pi/5 but can't find a way to bring it up to the rhs of the equation.

I just thing that the textbook is juts wrong to ask that with this kind of information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without using an expanded unit circle from 0 to 2pi in steps of pi/5, I don't see how it would be possible. Someone correct me if I am just not seeing it. Are you sure you have to solve without a calculator? Does that rule out a slide rule? :)

Last edited:
trelokamenos said:
I know the solution is 2pi/5 but can't find a way to bring it up to the rhs of the equation.

I must concur with QuarkCharmer that 2/5 pi is not a solution. See for instance [1].

[1] http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=tan(2+pi+/+5)

Well the solution is written in the back of the textbook. I guess I should have checked it first silly me!

Well all the other exercises of the textbook don't require a calculator (and are solved pretty easily) and it is written in the introduction of the book that none is needed. So assumed so.

But since the solution offered is approximate, I also think that there is no way this could be solved without a calculator. Perhaps a mistake of the book then.

Thanks for the replies people!

Hmm. I don't know about your teacher but mine probably would have accepted arctan(3) as an answer if it was a "non-calculator" problem.

1. How do you solve a trigonometry equation without using a calculator?

To solve a trigonometry equation without a calculator, you need to use the trigonometric identities and properties. In this case, you can use the tangent identity tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) to rewrite the equation as sin(x)/cos(x) = 3. Then, you can use the fact that the sine and cosine values for common angles (such as 0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees) are known and can be used to determine the value of x.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this trigonometry equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to know how to solve it without a calculator as well, as it can help you understand the concept better and also be useful in situations where you don't have access to a calculator.

3. What is the process for solving a trigonometry equation?

The process for solving a trigonometry equation involves using the known identities and properties of trigonometric functions to rewrite the equation in terms of sine, cosine, or tangent. Then, you can use the values of these functions for common angles or use algebraic manipulations to isolate the variable and solve for it.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving a trigonometry equation without a calculator?

One tip for solving a trigonometry equation without a calculator is to use the unit circle and the values of the trigonometric functions for common angles (0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees). Another tip is to use algebraic manipulations to simplify the equation and isolate the variable.

5. Why is it important to know how to solve trigonometry equations without a calculator?

Knowing how to solve trigonometry equations without a calculator is important because it helps develop a better understanding of the concepts and properties of trigonometric functions. It also allows you to solve problems in situations where a calculator may not be available, such as in a test or in the real world.